Sounds Power Past CubsAugust 28, 2012 - Pacific Coast League (PCL) Iowa Cubs
The game was scoreless through the first three innings before the Sounds broke through in the bottom of the fourth. Logan Schafer and Khris Davis opened the inning with base hits to set up Halton, who jumped on the first pitch of his at-bat and clubbed a long three-run homer to left field. It was Halton's 16th home run of the season, but the first allowed by Cubs' starter Horacio Ramirez in an Iowa uniform.
The Cubs got one run back in the top of the fifth against Sounds' starter Tyler Thornburg. Matt Tolbert led off with a double, moved to third on a sacrifice bunt by Ramirez, and scored on a two-out single by Alfredo Amezaga.
The Sounds struck right back in the bottom of the fifth. With two outs, Schafer singled, stole second, and scored on a double by Davis. After an intentional walk to Halton, Green lifted a wall-scraping homer over the short wall in right for his seventh homer of the season. That knocked Ramirez (0-1) out of the game. Miguel Socolovich finished the fifth and pitched a perfect sixth.
Thornburg (2-2) turned the game over to his bullpen after five innings. Mike McClendon worked the sixth and came back out for the seventh. With one out, Anthony Recker grounded a pinch-hit single in his Iowa debut. McClendon gave way to Juan Perez who struck out Tony Campana, but Amezaga tagged him for a two-run homer to left to cut the Sounds' lead to 7-3. It was Amezaga's sixth home run of the season.
The Sounds bullpen didn't buckle again as Amaury Rivas and Fautino De Los Santos each pitched a perfect inning to finish the game.
Rafael Dolis made his return from the disabled list and pitched a scoreless eighth for the Cubs thanks to some help from his defense. With runners on first and second with two outs, Green grounded a base hit to left field. Davis tried to score from second, but Dave Sappelt cut him down with a one-hop throw from left for his team-leading 11th outfield assist of the year. Jairo Asencio finished with a perfect eighth for the Cubs.
The Cubs and Sounds continue this series tomorrow night at 7:05. LH Ryan Rowland-Smith (3-5, 4.09) is scheduled to start for the Cubs against RH Hiram Burgos (1-2, 3.93) for the Sounds. The game will be broadcast live on AM 940 with the On-Deck Circle Pre-Game Show starting at 6:45.
Pacific Coast League Stories from August 28, 2012
- Downs and Dominguez Provide Power in 6-5 Win - Oklahoma City RedHawks
- Two Six-Run Rallies Lead to Sox Rout of River Cats - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
- Round Rock Express Sweep New Orleans in Doubleheader - Round Rock Express
- River Cats Fall to Sky Sox, 14-6 - Sacramento River Cats
- Sounds Power Past Cubs - Iowa Cubs
- Redbirds Hold off the Storm Chasers - Memphis Redbirds
- Memphis Shuts out Storm Chasers - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Halton, Green Power Sounds Past I-Cubs, 7-3 - Nashville Sounds
- Angels Recall Kole Calhoun - Salt Lake Bees
- Round Rock Express - Game Notes vs. New Orleans Zephyrs - Round Rock Express
- RedHawks Game Notes: August 28, 2012 - Oklahoma City RedHawks
- Eaton Earns PCL Rookie of the Year Honors - Reno Aces
- Adam Eaton Named 2012 PCL Rookie of the Year - PCL
- Troy Tulowitzki & Jason Giambi to Rehab with Sky Sox - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
- Aces Announce 2-For-1 Ticket Deal - Reno Aces
- Aces Win 4-3 over Fresno in Extra Innings - Reno Aces
- Tucson wins 10-6 - Tucson Padres
- Close Doesn't Count for Cubs - Iowa Cubs
- 'Topes Roughed up by RedHawks, 6-1 - Albuquerque Isotopes
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.