Otters Reward Closer Eric Massingham with TradeAugust 25, 2012 - Frontier League (FL) Evansville Otters
The trade is for cash and a player to be named later.
Massingham joined Evansville last season, setting the Otters single season saves record (22). He also surpassed Mike Bille for most saves in Otters history earlier this season and is currently in third place for most saves in the 20-year existence of the Frontier League (43).
"He has done everything we have asked of him for the last two seasons," said Evansville Otters manager Andy McCauley. "Massingham is the best closer in the Frontier League and this promotion will certainly help his career."
Massingham is 4-2 this season with a 2.86 earned run average. He has just one blown save this year, while converting a Frontier League leading 21 saves.
"Eric did well this year and the trade gives him a chance to play at a higher level for the remainder of the season," said Otters Director of Player Personnel Kevin Cope. "Fargo- Moorhead is looking for him to help out in their bullpen during the rest of the season and playoffs as well."
The Otters will host the Road Warriors today in a day-night doubleheader. The first game will begin at 1:35 p.m. CDT as the second game starts at 6:35 p.m. CDT. Both contests are scheduled for seven innings and will be played at Historic Bosse Field. All games will feature a $1 baseball bonanza with tickets, beer, hot dogs, peanuts and popcorn for the price of $1.
Be sure to follow the Evansville Otters on twitter at (@Evilleotters) and like us on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/EvansvilleOtters . For more information on the Evansville Otters, please log on to the team's website at http //www evansvilleotters com
Frontier League Stories from August 25, 2012
- Grizzlies Win Series against CornBelters; Magic Number Is Five - Gateway Grizzlies
- Calhoun Goes Eight Innings in Loss - Southern Illinois Miners
- CornBelters drop 4-2 decision - Normal CornBelters
- Early woes cost Crushers in 6-2 loss - Lake Erie Crushers
- Boomers Slug Past Rockford - Schaumburg Boomers
- Slammers Grab Early Lead But Fall to Rascals - Joliet Slammers
- Otters Sweep Doubleheader from the Road Warriors - Evansville Otters
- Sarratt Dominates W/ 10 K's; Rascals Win 6-1 - River City Rascals
- Boomers Hit Five Homers to Rout RiverHawks - Rockford RiverHawks
- Beach Bums Win 60th Game - Traverse City Beach Bums
- Freedom Rally in Eighth to Keep Win Streak Alive - Florence Freedom
- August 25 Joliet Slammers Game Notes - Joliet Slammers
- Marino, Zielinski Fuel Otters Game One Win - Evansville Otters
- Otters Reward Closer Eric Massingham with Trade - Evansville Otters
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.