Rainiers Blank Reno In Series Opener, 2-0August 19, 2012 - Pacific Coast League (PCL) Tacoma Rainiers
The right-hander took a no-hit bid deep into the eighth inning before surrendering a single to outfielder Adam Eaton with two outs in the frame. He ended the night allowing just the one hit and walking only two batters over 7.2 innings before exiting the game after the Eaton base hit.
The game was scoreless until outfielder Mike Wilson helped the Rainiers jump out to a two-run edge in the bottom of the eighth. After infielder Nick Franklin singled with one out, Wilson ultimately give Tacoma the edge with a two-run blast to left field - his 11th of the season.
As a team, the Rainiers combined to collect six hits against the Aces. Franklin led the lineup after going 2-for-3 with a single, a triple and a run scored. First baseman Alex Liddi added another triple with two outs in the fourth.
Right-handed reliever Shawn Kelley (2-0) picked up the win in his first start since being optioned to Tacoma from the Mariners on August 17. Kelley struck out two batters without issuing a walk over 1.1 hitless, scoreless innings over the eighth and ninth.
The second leg of the Rainiers (54-74) four-game set against the Aces (72-56) is set for 1:35 p.m. tomorrow, August 19. Left-handed pitching prospect Danny Hultzen (1-2, 4.71) is slated to start for Tacoma against right-hander Daniel Cabrera (0-0, -.--) for the Aces.
Every Rainiers game can be heard live on South Sound Sports 850-AM and is available to be streamed online at www.tacomarainiers.com.
To purchase season tickets, group packages or party decks for the 2012 season, call (253) 752-7707 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Up-to-date news and notes throughout the season can be found at www.tacomarainiers.com and by following the Rainiers on Twitter (@RainiersLand) or liking the team on Facebook.
Pacific Coast League Stories from August 19, 2012
- Corporan Leads Way Over Express, 5-2 - Oklahoma City RedHawks
- Round Rock Express Fall to Oklahoma City 5-2 - Round Rock Express
- Rainiers Blast Past Reno, 4-3 - Tacoma Rainiers
- Rainiers Top Aces, 4-3 - Reno Aces
- Storm Chasers Take Sunday's Matinee, 5-1 - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Sands Sets Franchise Record in 'Topes Shutout Win - Albuquerque Isotopes
- River Cats Drop Game Two to 51s, 9-4 - Sacramento River Cats
- Zephyrs Get Blanked in Duke City - New Orleans Zephyrs
- RedHawks DeFrancesco Heads to Houston, Lawless Named Manager - Oklahoma City RedHawks
- Sounds Drop Second Straight to Storm Chasers, 5-1 - Nashville Sounds
- Pitching, Power Lifts Cubs to Victory - Iowa Cubs
- Round Rock Express - Game Notes vs. Oklahoma City RedHawks - Round Rock Express
- RedHawks Game Notes: August 19, 2012 - Oklahoma City RedHawks
- Ely Sets Franchise Records in 3-1 'Topes Win - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Rainiers Blank Reno In Series Opener, 2-0 - Tacoma Rainiers
- Tucson unable to complete comeback - Tucson Padres
- Aces Blanked by Tacoma, 2-0 - Reno Aces
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.