Stars Walk-Off in Series FinaleAugust 18, 2012 - Southern League (SL) Huntsville Stars
The Biscuits got to Stars starter Jimmy Nelson early in the game. A lead-off double by second baseman Derek Dietrich followed by an error on Gonzalez with first baseman Michael Sheridan at bat put runners in scoring position with no outs. Dietrich and Sheridan scored on back-to-back hits by Brett Nommensen and Mark Thomas. A passed ball on catcher Anderson De La Rosa plated a third run of the inning, giving the Biscuits a 3-0 lead.
Montgomery added two more runs in the third thanks to a deep single to right center off the bat of Thomas. Nelson regained his control and allowed just one more Biscuits hit in his 5.2 innings of work. He left the game after giving up all five runs (three earned) on five hits. He walked six and struck out five in the no-decision.
The Stars finally got on the board in the fourth inning thanks to a single from Brock Kjeldgaard to score Gonzalez. Gonzalez hit a solo shot in the sixth to cut Montgomery's lead to three. Davis hit a bomb of his own in the next inning, his fifth long ball of the season, to put the Stars within two runs.
In the eighth inning, the Biscuits pitching staff unraveled. Reliever Kirby Yates replaced C.J. Riefenhauser and walked the bases loaded with just one out. Kjeldgaard hit another deep single to bring two runners home and tie the game. He went 4-for-5 on the night with 3 RBIs.
With the game still tied in the bottom of the tenth, the Stars second extra-inning game in the last three games, Gonzalez drew a lead-off walk and advanced to third on another Kjeldgaard single. In the next at-bat, Davis scored Gonzalez to give Huntsville their fourth walk-off and second consecutive win.
Reliever R.J. Seidel picked up the win for the Stars, improving to 2-2 on the season, after throwing two hitless innings, walking three and striking out three. Relievers Brian Garman and Johnny Hellweg combined for 2.1 shutout innings. Neil Schenk took the loss for Montgomery, going 0.1 innings, giving up one run on hits.
The Stars start a five-game road trip tomorrow to face the Mississippi Braves. RHP Johnny Lowe will take the mound for the Stars. First pitch is at 5 p.m.
Southern League Stories from August 18, 2012
- Stars Walk-Off in Series Finale - Huntsville Stars
- Stars Score Final 6 Runs, Beat Biscuits in 10 - Montgomery Biscuits
- Stars Walkoff In Series Finale With Biscuits - Huntsville Stars
- Suns Can't Hold Off Lookouts - Jacksonville Suns
- Lookouts Sweep Suns with 3-2 Win - Chattanooga Lookouts
- Generals Walk Off with Extra Inning Win Saturday Night - Jackson Generals
- Smokies Earn Series Win in Rain-Shortened 2-1 Victory over Barons - Tennessee Smokies
- M-Braves Fall in Extras for Second Straight Night, 3-2 - Mississippi Braves
- Wahoos Return Home for Five with Montgomery - Pensacola Blue Wahoos
- Homestand Highlights - Pensacola Blue Wahoos
- Generals Game Notes - Jackson Generals
- Garko Reinstated, Lee to DL - Montgomery Biscuits
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.