Staten Island wins over Lake MonstersAugust 17, 2012 - New York-Penn League (NYPL) Vermont Lake Monsters
Daniel Robertson had given Vermont a 2-1 lead in the bottom of the second inning with a leadoff home to leftfield that hit off the Lake Monsters new video board. Vermont later added another run in the inning on a Chris Bostick RBI single to center scoring Reynaldo Mateo for a 3-1 advantage. The Yankees tied the game in top of the third on a two-run homer from O'Brien off Lake Monsters reliever J.C. Menna.
Staten Island, who had lost six straight and 17 of its previous 18 games, then scored four runs in the fifth after Menna had retired the first two Yankees of the inning. Two hit batters and a walk loaded the bases before a Daniel Lopez RBI infield single gave Staten Island the lead and Isaias Tejeda followed with a three-run double down the leftfield line for a 7-3 lead.
After Vermont collected seven hits in the first three innings, four Staten Island relievers combined to allow just one hit (a seventh-inning infield single) over the finalÂ
5 2/3 innings. Â Charles Basford struckout one in 1 2/3 hitless innings after taking over for starter Evan Rutckyj in the fourth inning to pick up the victory. Matt Duran and Lopez each scored two runs, while Jose Rosario was 3-for-4 with two RBI for Staten Island (17-39).
Robertson went 2-for-4 including his first home run in his seventh game with the Lake Monsters, while Menna (0-7) was charged with five runs on four hits over 2 1/3 innings for league-leading seventh loss of the season. Deyvi Jimenez struckout three and gave up just one hit in 2 1/3 scoreless innings of relief for the Lake Monsters.
After taking two-of-three in the series with the Yankees, Vermont (26-31) will begin a three-game series with the Brooklyn Cyclones at Centennial Field beginnig on Saturday at 6:05 pm. Â The first 1,000 fans to Saturday's game will receive a voucher for a free bobblehead of Hall of Fame catcher Gary Carter that they can claim at the Lake Monsters office in September when the bobbleheads arrive in Vermont.
New York-Penn League Stories from August 17, 2012
- Staten Island wins over Lake Monsters - Vermont Lake Monsters
- Spikes Edged by Doubledays in 1-0 Defeat on Friday - State College Spikes
- Renegades drop a close one - Hudson Valley Renegades
- Spinners Get Back on Winning Track in Rain Shortened Win, 6-2 - Lowell Spinners
- Spinners Take Series in Rain Shortened Finale - Aberdeen IronBirds
- Cutters two-hit in pitchers' duel - Williamsport Crosscutters
- Tigers Snap Three-Game Losing Streak - Connecticut Tigers
- State College Spikes Game Notes - August 17 vs. Auburn - State College Spikes
- Offensive Outburst Pushes Doubledays Past Scrappers - Auburn Doubledays
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.