Kernels Walk off River Bandits to Avoid Sweep, 3-2August 17, 2012 - Midwest League (MWL) Quad Cities River Bandits
In a 2-2, ninth-inning tie, River Bandits right-hander Heath Wyatt (4-6) allowed a one-out double by left fielder Zach Borenstein, who had two doubles for one-third of the Kernels' six hits. Wyatt intentionally walked right fielder Gary Mitchell before Baker singled to left field and drove in Borenstein, who scored all three Kernels runs. With the hit, Baker extended an 11-game hitting streak.
The River Bandits (25-28 second half, 60-62 overall) out-hit the Kernels, 8-6, but missed a chance to complete their first road series sweep of the season. They finished 13-5 this season against Cedar Rapids to match Quad Cities' most wins in a season against any opponent as a Cardinals affiliate. The River Bandits won 13 games against Peoria last season.
Quad Cities right-hander Boone Whiting was in line for his first win until Cedar Rapids tied the game, 2-2, in the seventh inning, when catcher Zach Wright hit an RBI double to left field that chased left-handed reliever Jonathan Cornelius. With two outs, Wyatt came in for Cornelius, who allowed one hit and one run while striking out three batters in 1 2/3 innings. Wyatt escaped the inning by getting third baseman Trevor Hairgrove to line out to left field and retired the first five batters he faced before Borenstein doubled in the ninth.
Borenstein also helped Cedar Rapids (16-37, 48-75 overall) open the scoring in the bottom of the second inning against Whiting. The Kernels left fielder hit a leadoff double and moved to third base on a wild pitch before scoring on Mitchell's single to right field. It was the only run against Whiting in his second start for Quad Cities. He allowed three hits with one walk and five strikeouts in five innings.
Quad Cities tied the game, 1-1, in the top of the third inning, as shortstop Matt Williams and second baseman Luis Mateo drew consecutive walks against right-hander Frank De Jiulio. After left fielder Jordan Walton flied out, center fielder Nick Martini singled to right field, and Mitchell overthrew home plate, which allowed Williams to score an unearned run.
The River Bandits took the lead in the fifth inning, as Walton hit a one-out single to right field and scored on Martini's double to right-center field that ended the night for De Jiulio, who gave up two runs - one earned - on five hits in 4 1/3 innings. He walked two batters and struck out four.
The Kernels bullpen of left-hander Michael Johnson and right-hander R.J. Alvarez (1-2) pitched 4 2/3 scoreless innings. Johnson allowed one hit and had two strikeouts in 2 2/3 innings, while Alvarez allowed two hits and struck out four batters in the final two innings.
The River Bandits open a four-game series with the Beloit Snappers Saturday night at 7 p.m. Right-hander Tyrell Jenkins (3-4) faces Snappers left-hander Matt Tomshaw (4-2), as Quad Cities will try to snap a five-game losing streak against Beloit.
Midwest League Stories from August 17, 2012
- Bees Sweep Chiefs, 5-4 - Burlington Bees
- 'Pen Saves Hot Rods in Sweep over Loons - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Everyone contributes in Rattlers' win at Beloit - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Chiefs Fall to Bees 5-4 Friday - Peoria Chiefs
- Baker's walk-off RBI wins it for Kernels, 3-2 - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Rattlers out Hit the Snappers Picking up 5-2 Win - Beloit Snappers
- Caps Use Four-Hit Shutout To Clip Hawks - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Fireworks, Zooperstars Entertain Season-High Crowd - Great Lakes Loons
- Pimentel Delivers off Bench, LumberKings Win 2-1 in Extras - Clinton LumberKings
- Cougars Fall in Extras to Clinton - Kane County Cougars
- Hawks Stymied in Series Finale - South Bend Silver Hawks
- Kernels Walk off River Bandits to Avoid Sweep, 3-2 - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Record-setting Hobson helps Lugs avoid sweep - Lansing Lugnuts
- Fort Wayne's Comeback Falls Short in Ninth - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Captains Top Dragons 5-3, Win Series - Dayton Dragons
- Captains Hold on for 5-3 Win - Lake County Captains
- Lansing Lugnuts Make Transaction - Lansing Lugnuts
- Sloppy Play Costs Clinton in Kane County - Clinton LumberKings
- Melville Joins Cougars - Kane County Cougars
- Parkview to Offer Free Health Screenings at TinCaps Games - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Dragons Gameday for August 17 - Dayton Dragons
- Nicor Gas Energy Efficiency Program to Debut at Tonight's Cougars Game - Kane County Cougars
- Wisconsin Timber Rattlers Release 2013 Schedule - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Bees' Lamb Helps Shut out Chiefs, 4-0 - Burlington Bees
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.