K.C. Hitters Stymied by Lincoln PitchingAugust 16, 2012 - American Association (AA) Kansas City T-Bones
Sean Smith led off the top of the ninth with a triple to center for Lincoln. The next batter, David Espinosa, drove a base hit to left against Kansas City's drawn-in infield, scoring Smith and giving the Saltdogs a 5-4 lead.
In the bottom of the inning, Zocchi gave up a lead-off base hit to Justin Bass, but then retired the next three Kansas City batters and picked up his 22nd save on the season.
The big story throughout the night was Lincoln's pitching. In addition to Zocchi getting his 22nd save, left-handed starter Tony Butler kept most of the T-Bones hitters off balance. Butler gave up only four hits and three runs in six innings. He got eight strikeouts, including a stretch during the middle innings when he struck out seven consecutive Kansas City batters.
The only hitter who seemed to have Butler's number was Justin Bass, who went four for five with a double, a run scored and a stolen base. Bass led off the bottom of the seventh with a double. Two batters later, he scored on a base hit by Lee Cruz, which tied the game at 4-4.
Kansas City (43-40) now gets set to play host to Laredo for three games beginning Friday night at 7:05 at CommunityAmerica Ballpark. Tickets are available by calling the T-Bones box office at 913-328-5618.
American Association Stories from August 16, 2012
- Explorers defeat Rockland - Sioux City Explorers
- K.C. Hitters Stymied by Lincoln Pitching - Kansas City T-Bones
- Diablos Fall To Wichita, Settle For Split - El Paso Diablos
- McMurray Mashes, Butler Bulldozes as 'Dogs Take Series - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Scurry's Beauty Beats Laredo - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Scurry Ties Up Lemurs - Laredo Lemurs
- Sox Use Two Big Innings to Take Series - Grand Prairie AirHogs
- American Association Game Recap - AA
- Penprase Double Lifts RedHawks in 1-0 Victory over Goldeyes - Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks
- Salamida's Stellar Start Spoiled by Late Rally - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- RailCats Score Six in Tenth to Take Series - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- AirHogs Come Back in Eighth to Gut out Win - Grand Prairie AirHogs
- Saints Committ Franchise Record Tying High Six Errors in 14-8 Loss in 10 - St. Paul Saints
- Comeback Falls Short against El Paso - Wichita Wingnuts
- Comeback Bid Falls Short, Goldeyes Beat RedHawks 8-6 - Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks
- American Association Results - AA
- T-Bones Get Dozen Hits in 8-3 Win over Lincoln - Kansas City T-Bones
- Bolden's Five-Hit Night Leads Pheasants to Victory - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Fish Hang out for Big Win against RedHawks - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Explorers earn 11-1 win - Sioux City Explorers
- Nelson's Two Run Shot Paces Another Diablos Victory - El Paso Diablos
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.