Diablos Fall To Wichita, Settle For SplitAugust 16, 2012 - American Association (AA) El Paso Diablos
El Paso took the early lead in the first inning thanks to a pair of singles and a Wichita error, but the Wingnuts would take the lead for good in the third. Ahead 2-1, John Rodriguez blasted a two-run homer for the Wingnuts in his return the lineup after an ankle injury to push the 'Nuts lead to 4-1.
The Diablos had several opportunities to get back into the game, but several times stranded multiple runners on base to end innings. In the fifth and sixth, El Paso put two runners on but were unable to score and reduce the deficit.
Meanwhile, the Wingnuts continued to chip away at Diablos starter Ramon Garcia (1-2) and added a key insurance run in the bottom of the eighth to enter the ninth with a 7-2 lead.
The Diablos did made it interesting in the final frame, scoring once to make the score 7-3 and loading the bases with two outs for Fernando Valenzuela Jr. Valenzuela hit a bloop towards shallow left center field that for a moment appeared as though it would fall in and score two runs. Instead, shortstop Ryan Khoury made a tumbling catch to end the game and give the Wingnuts the series split.
Anthony Capra (2-2) earned the win for Wichita with six strong innings, allowing zero earned runs.
Next up for the Diablos is a crucial four-game series against the Grand Prairie Air Hogs at Quik Trip Park. The Diablos enter the series three and a half games back in the South division, with Scott Hodsdon set to take the hill in the opener on Friday.
American Association Stories from August 16, 2012
- Explorers defeat Rockland - Sioux City Explorers
- K.C. Hitters Stymied by Lincoln Pitching - Kansas City T-Bones
- Diablos Fall To Wichita, Settle For Split - El Paso Diablos
- McMurray Mashes, Butler Bulldozes as 'Dogs Take Series - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Scurry's Beauty Beats Laredo - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Scurry Ties Up Lemurs - Laredo Lemurs
- Sox Use Two Big Innings to Take Series - Grand Prairie AirHogs
- American Association Game Recap - AA
- Penprase Double Lifts RedHawks in 1-0 Victory over Goldeyes - Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks
- Salamida's Stellar Start Spoiled by Late Rally - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- RailCats Score Six in Tenth to Take Series - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- AirHogs Come Back in Eighth to Gut out Win - Grand Prairie AirHogs
- Saints Committ Franchise Record Tying High Six Errors in 14-8 Loss in 10 - St. Paul Saints
- Comeback Falls Short against El Paso - Wichita Wingnuts
- Comeback Bid Falls Short, Goldeyes Beat RedHawks 8-6 - Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks
- American Association Results - AA
- T-Bones Get Dozen Hits in 8-3 Win over Lincoln - Kansas City T-Bones
- Bolden's Five-Hit Night Leads Pheasants to Victory - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Fish Hang out for Big Win against RedHawks - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Explorers earn 11-1 win - Sioux City Explorers
- Nelson's Two Run Shot Paces Another Diablos Victory - El Paso Diablos
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.