LumberKings At-Bat against Traumatic Brain InjuriesAugust 16, 2012 - Midwest League (MWL) Clinton LumberKings
Nearly two million people sustain traumatic brain injuries in the United States annually. Over 50 thousand of those cases are fatal. Although most TBIs are caused by falls they can be caused by crashes, assaults, and other incidents. These incidents could be greatly reduced with the use of properly fitting and maintained safety equipment worn correctly and consistently. Following proper safety recommendations and good sportsmanship can also cut down on the number of TBIs.
Origins of TBI Awareness night stem from multiple sports related traumatic brain injuries suffered by LumberKings' staff member Taylor Ward. Ward suffered a rare double concussion while playing volleyball in Arizona a few years back. Ward, now enrolled at Ashford, suffered another concussion while at volleyball practice earlier this year. While Ward leads a normal life of a college student she does so with the challenges of memory loss and having to relearn certain academic information.
Organizers of this event will raffle off prizes, including a flat-screen television, for those donating new, unused bicycle helmets.
For more information or to provide support for TBI Awareness night contact Kathy Ward at the Clinton County Area Solid Waste Agency at 563-243-4749, Extension 102, or the Clinton LumberKings at 563-242- 0727.
Midwest League Stories from August 16, 2012
- Whitecaps' Comeback Soured By Walk-Off Loss - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Rattlers hold on to beat Beloit - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Chiefs Lose 4-0 Thursday - Peoria Chiefs
- Snappers Fall Despite 9th Inning Rally - Beloit Snappers
- River Bandits roll Kernels, 8-1 - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Loons Outpaced by Hot Rods - Great Lakes Loons
- Groff's Tenth-Inning Knock Lifts Hawks - South Bend Silver Hawks
- Markel Continues Surge, Hot Rods Win in Great Lakes - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- River Bandits Keep Hot Streak against Kernels in 8-1 Win - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Diaz, Arias Lead Dragons to 12-6 Win - Dayton Dragons
- Cougars Even Series, Beat Clinton - Kane County Cougars
- Lugnuts fall, 2-0, in rain-shortened shutout - Lansing Lugnuts
- Dragons Slug Captains 12-6 - Lake County Captains
- TinCaps Win 2-0, Secure Series Victory - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- LumberKings At-Bat against Traumatic Brain Injuries - Clinton LumberKings
- Dragons Gameday for August 16 - Dayton Dragons
- LumberKings Announce "Kings of the Diamond" Softball Tournament - Clinton LumberKings
- Track the Backwoods of Bowling Green at the Ballpark - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Bees to Welcome Three Millionth Fan - Burlington Bees
- Two Big Innings Lift LumberKings in Kane County - Clinton LumberKings
- Bees Beat Peoria, 5-1 - Burlington Bees
- Snappers Win in Slug Fest 13-10 over Wisconsin - Beloit Snappers
- Snappers outslug Wisconsin - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.