AirHogs Come Back in Eighth to Gut out WinAugust 16, 2012 - American Association (AA) Grand Prairie AirHogs
Grand Prairie (45-38) took the lead on an RBI groundout by John Alonso in the first, but the Sox (39-44) got it back in the third on a walk, hit and error. The AirHogs went back on top on a two-out RBI hit by Keanon Simon in the fifth, but the Sox again tied it with a two-out rally, getting a single, a passed ball and another single to tie it at 2-2.
Rodriguez lined the first pitch of the sixth against Amarillo starter Chuck Lofgren over the leftfield wall for his 13th home run of the year, and John Brownell made that lead stand up with a three-batter sixth. But after leaving the bases loaded in the fifth and sixth, with two more in the seventh, the AirHogs rued their lack of insurance runs in the bottom of the seventh.
With one out, Jake Luce singled and stole second, before Danny Gallinot struck out. Derrick Miramontes (5-1) came in and walked leadoff hitter Garrett Rau, but it looked like he would get out of the inning when Adam Buschini grounded one to first. But the ball hopped up and off the shoulder of John Alonso for a two-run double, and Tim Alberts followed that with a triple to right-center to give the Sox a 5-3 lead.
But in the eighth, the AirHogs fought back. Yasutsugu Nishimoto laid down a bunt hit and went to second on Van Pope's throwing error. Johnny Kaplan then singled to put runners at the corners, and reliever Jack Spradlin was replaced by Chase Johnson (4-3). Johnson walked Keanon Simon to load the bases, and after falling behind 0-2, Brian Myrow got the count even before grounding a ball through the right side for a two-run hit to tie the game.
Alonso then walked, before Myrow was doubled off second on Trent Lockwood's liner to second baseman Buschini. But after a wild pitch moved Alonso to second, Rodriguez ripped a grounder inside third down the leftfield line to score two and give Grand Prairie the lead for good.
Adam Miller worked around two singles in the eighth with the help of a double play, and Justin Dowdy got around a leadoff walk with two strikeouts in the ninth for his 15th save of the season.
American Association Stories from August 16, 2012
- Explorers defeat Rockland - Sioux City Explorers
- K.C. Hitters Stymied by Lincoln Pitching - Kansas City T-Bones
- Diablos Fall To Wichita, Settle For Split - El Paso Diablos
- McMurray Mashes, Butler Bulldozes as 'Dogs Take Series - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Scurry's Beauty Beats Laredo - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Scurry Ties Up Lemurs - Laredo Lemurs
- Sox Use Two Big Innings to Take Series - Grand Prairie AirHogs
- American Association Game Recap - AA
- Penprase Double Lifts RedHawks in 1-0 Victory over Goldeyes - Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks
- Salamida's Stellar Start Spoiled by Late Rally - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- RailCats Score Six in Tenth to Take Series - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- AirHogs Come Back in Eighth to Gut out Win - Grand Prairie AirHogs
- Saints Committ Franchise Record Tying High Six Errors in 14-8 Loss in 10 - St. Paul Saints
- Comeback Falls Short against El Paso - Wichita Wingnuts
- Comeback Bid Falls Short, Goldeyes Beat RedHawks 8-6 - Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks
- American Association Results - AA
- T-Bones Get Dozen Hits in 8-3 Win over Lincoln - Kansas City T-Bones
- Bolden's Five-Hit Night Leads Pheasants to Victory - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Fish Hang out for Big Win against RedHawks - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Explorers earn 11-1 win - Sioux City Explorers
- Nelson's Two Run Shot Paces Another Diablos Victory - El Paso Diablos
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.