Comeback Falls Short against El PasoAugust 16, 2012 - American Association (AA) Wichita Wingnuts
El Paso scored two runs in the top of the first inning and eventually built a 5-0 after the top of the fourth. Maikol Gonzalez singled to center on the first pitch of the game, stole second, and scored on a double to left field from Reid Fronk. Mitch Einertson followed with a double down the left field line to make it 2-0.
RBI doubles from J.J. Muse and Fronk in the top of the second made it 4-0. Muse drove in El Paso's fifth run on a double play ball in the top of the fourth.
Wichita began mounting a comeback with three runs in the bottom of the fourth. David Peralta doubled to right-center with one out and scored on a ground rule double to center from Jessie Mier. Wilberto Ortiz followed with an RBI single to right. After Mike Conroy lined a single to right, Ryan Khoury lifted a sacrifice fly to right field that cut El Paso's lead to 5-3.
Greg Porter hit a ground rule double to center field leading off the bottom of the fifth and scored three batters later on Peralta's two-out, RBI single to right-center.
The Diablos extended their lead in the top of the sixth when Daniel Nelson hit a two-run homer to left-center. The Wingnuts scored their final run in the bottom of the inning on a Jake Kahaulelio double to left.
El Paso scratched out an eighth run in the top of the ninth when Fernando Valenzuela blooped a single to left-center with the Wingnuts' playing the infield in.
Josh Lowey started and took the loss for the Wingnuts, allowing seven earned runs on 13 hits in five and two-thirds innings. Lowey walked three and struck out four.
David Casillas earned the win for El Paso, allowing four earned runs on eight hits in five innings. Casillas walked four and struck out four.
James Baker, Nick Walters, and James Hoyt combined for two and one-third scoreless relief innings. Hoyt struck out the side in the top of the eighth after entering with a runner on third and no outs.
Eight of Wichita's starters had at least one hit in the game. Kahaulelio, Peralta, and Mier each had multi-hit games.
The series concludes on Thursday at 7:05 p.m. with Anthony Capra facing right-hander Ramon Garcia. Individual tickets can be purchased by calling (316) 755-SEAT, or by visiting www.selectaseat.com
For season tickets, group outings, and party packages, call the Wingnuts' main office at (316) 264-NUTS, or visit the Wingnuts' official website at www.wichitawingnuts.com.
American Association Stories from August 16, 2012
- Explorers defeat Rockland - Sioux City Explorers
- K.C. Hitters Stymied by Lincoln Pitching - Kansas City T-Bones
- Diablos Fall To Wichita, Settle For Split - El Paso Diablos
- McMurray Mashes, Butler Bulldozes as 'Dogs Take Series - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Scurry's Beauty Beats Laredo - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Scurry Ties Up Lemurs - Laredo Lemurs
- Sox Use Two Big Innings to Take Series - Grand Prairie AirHogs
- American Association Game Recap - AA
- Penprase Double Lifts RedHawks in 1-0 Victory over Goldeyes - Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks
- Salamida's Stellar Start Spoiled by Late Rally - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- RailCats Score Six in Tenth to Take Series - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- AirHogs Come Back in Eighth to Gut out Win - Grand Prairie AirHogs
- Saints Committ Franchise Record Tying High Six Errors in 14-8 Loss in 10 - St. Paul Saints
- Comeback Falls Short against El Paso - Wichita Wingnuts
- Comeback Bid Falls Short, Goldeyes Beat RedHawks 8-6 - Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks
- American Association Results - AA
- T-Bones Get Dozen Hits in 8-3 Win over Lincoln - Kansas City T-Bones
- Bolden's Five-Hit Night Leads Pheasants to Victory - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Fish Hang out for Big Win against RedHawks - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Explorers earn 11-1 win - Sioux City Explorers
- Nelson's Two Run Shot Paces Another Diablos Victory - El Paso Diablos
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.