Comeback Bid Falls Short, Goldeyes Beat RedHawks 8-6August 16, 2012 - American Association (AA) Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks
The loss ended a nine-game winning streak for the RedHawks (54-29)over the Goldeyes (48-34) that dated back to June 21 and are now 5.5 games ahead of Winnipeg in the North Division Standings.
Mike Coles was 2-for-5 with two doubles and three runs, Chris Roberson hit 2-for-5 with two runs and 2 RBIs, while Luis Alen and Price Kendall both had three hits for the Goldeyes
Fargo-Moorhead battled back from three runs down in fourth and fifth innings. Nic Jackson hit a solo home run in the fourth while the RedHawks scored two runs in the fifth to tie the game 3-3 off an RBI single by Zach Penprase and an Eric Campbell sacrifice fly.
The Goldeyes extended their lead to 5-3 in the sixth and put the game out of reach in the eighth with RBI singles by Yurendell de Caster and Josh Mazzola making it 7-3. Winnipeg scored two of their runs off of wild pitches allowing runners to score from third.
Zach Penprase and Nic Jackson both hit 3-for-5 in the ballgame for Fargo-Moorhead. Penprase had three RBI and two runs scored while Jackson scored two runs and hit one RBI. Ryan Delgado and Carlo Coto had multi-hit games.
Winnipeg starter Ace Walker improved to 7-4 on the season after he pitched six innings giving up three earned runs on seven hits and four strikeouts. Five relievers made appearances with Chris Bodishbaugh picking up his first save of the season in 1 1/3 innings of work. He allowed two earned runs on two hits while striking out two.
RedHawks starter Alex Caldera scattered seven hits in 4 1/3 innings with three runs, four walks, and two strikeouts before being pulled. Joe Harris dropped to 1-1 on the season after allowing two earned runs on one hit with two strikeouts and a walk. Kevin Fuqua pitched 1 1/3 innings of relief while Ethan Opsahl pitched the final two outs, one being a strikeout.
Fargo-Moorhead and Winnipeg conclude their four-game series tomorrow at 12:30 p.m. at Newman Outdoor Field. Probable starters for tomorrow's game are Jake Laber for the RedHawks and Chris Salamida for the Goldeyes. Tickets are available at fmredhawks.com or by calling (701) 235-6161.
American Association Stories from August 16, 2012
- Explorers defeat Rockland - Sioux City Explorers
- K.C. Hitters Stymied by Lincoln Pitching - Kansas City T-Bones
- Diablos Fall To Wichita, Settle For Split - El Paso Diablos
- McMurray Mashes, Butler Bulldozes as 'Dogs Take Series - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Scurry's Beauty Beats Laredo - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Scurry Ties Up Lemurs - Laredo Lemurs
- Sox Use Two Big Innings to Take Series - Grand Prairie AirHogs
- American Association Game Recap - AA
- Penprase Double Lifts RedHawks in 1-0 Victory over Goldeyes - Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks
- Salamida's Stellar Start Spoiled by Late Rally - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- RailCats Score Six in Tenth to Take Series - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- AirHogs Come Back in Eighth to Gut out Win - Grand Prairie AirHogs
- Saints Committ Franchise Record Tying High Six Errors in 14-8 Loss in 10 - St. Paul Saints
- Comeback Falls Short against El Paso - Wichita Wingnuts
- Comeback Bid Falls Short, Goldeyes Beat RedHawks 8-6 - Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks
- American Association Results - AA
- T-Bones Get Dozen Hits in 8-3 Win over Lincoln - Kansas City T-Bones
- Bolden's Five-Hit Night Leads Pheasants to Victory - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Fish Hang out for Big Win against RedHawks - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Explorers earn 11-1 win - Sioux City Explorers
- Nelson's Two Run Shot Paces Another Diablos Victory - El Paso Diablos
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.