One Out Rally Sparks RedHawks 5-3 Victory over GoldeyesAugust 13, 2012 - American Association (AA) Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks
The RedHawks began the eighth tied 3-3 but Nic Jackson started the one out rally in the eighth by reaching base on a fielding error and stole second during Eric Campbell's at-bat. After Campbell walked, Jon Gaston hit a single up the middle scoring Jackson and Ryan Delgado followed with a sacrifice fly that gave Fargo-Moorhead a 5-3 lead, their first of the game.
Fargo-Moorhead turned double plays in the seventh, eighth and ninth innings to keep the Winnipeg lineup at bay. Kevin Fuqua (2-1) earned the victory by pitching two innings and giving up only one hit. Closer Tom Boleska pitched the ninth and picked up his league leading 25th save of the season.
The RedHawks are now 5.5 games ahead of the Goldeyes in the North Divison after beating Winnipeg for the eighth straight time.
Winnipeg lead in the third after a Yurdendell de Caster RBI single and Josh Mazzola RBI double made it 2-0. The Goldeyes extended their lead to 3-0 in the fourth with an RBI double off the bat of Kyle Day.
Matthew Rusch no-hit the RedHawks through three innings before Fargo-Moorhead put up two runs in fourth off their first four hits in the game. Rusch pitched 6 1/3 innings giving up three earned runs on seven hits, one walk, with three strikeouts.
Nic Jackson was 2-for-4 with a home run in the sixth that tied the game 3-3. Jackson had two runs and two RBIs for the RedHawks. Fargo-Moorhead (53-28) shortstop Zach Penprase was 2-for-4 with a double and a run while Jon Gaston hit 2-for-4 with the eventual game-winning RBI in the eighth.
Brian Buening picked up the loss for Winnipeg (47-33). Buening dropped to 5-2 on the season after giving up two unearned runs off of one hit and a walk. RedHawks starter Aaron Shafer pitched six innings and gave up three earned runs on eight hits with a walk and two strikeouts.
Mazzola, Mike Coles, and Amos Ramon had two hits apiece for the goldeyes.
Fargo-Moorhead and Winnipeg continue their four game series tomorrow night at 7:02 p.m. at Newman Outdoor Field. Newman Outdoor Field and the RedHawks are expecting their three millionth fan to be in attendance for tomorrow's ballgame. Tickets are available at fmredhawks.com or by calling (701) 235-6161.
American Association Stories from August 13, 2012
- One Out Rally Sparks RedHawks 5-3 Victory over Goldeyes - Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks
- Lone Error Proves Costly - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Wingnuts Take Close Game from El Paso - Wichita Wingnuts
- Wingnuts Use 1-2 Punch To End Diablos' Three Game Winning Streak - El Paso Diablos
- Ruwe Goes the Distance as Saints Win 5-1 - St. Paul Saints
- Ruwe, Saints Shut Down RailCats in Series Opener - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Wingnuts Reload for Stretch Run - Wichita Wingnuts
- Hodsdon Named Pitcher of the Week - El Paso Diablos
- Karr's 11th-Inning Blast Completes Laredo Comeback - Grand Prairie AirHogs
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
- Hodsdon Shuts Down X's Again - Sioux City Explorers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.