Lone Error Proves CostlyAugust 13, 2012 - American Association (AA) Winnipeg Goldeyes
Despite an early 3-0 lead, the Goldeyes fell 5-3 to the RedHawks before 3,448 fans at Newman Outdoor Field in Fargo.
Winnipeg's lead in the wild card race is down to four games after the St. Paul Saints beat the Gary SouthShore RailCats 5-1 Monday night. The Goldeyes now trail Fargo by five and a half games for first place in the North Division.
Winnipeg opened a two-run lead in the second inning when Yurendell de Caster singled in Amos Ramon and then scored a batter later on a Josh Mazzola double.
The Goldeyes extended the lead to 3-0 in the fourth, as Mike Coles doubled and then scored on a Kyle Day double.
The RedHawks first cut into Winnipeg's lead in the bottom of the fourth with a pair of runs thanks to two RBI singles.
Nic Jackson hit a solo home run for Fargo in the sixth inning to tie the game 3-3.
A Price Kendall error in the eighth inning led to Fargo taking the lead. Kendall failed to pick up a ground ball at short, which allowed Jackson to reach base. Jackson came around to score on a Jon Gaston single and, with two outs, Ryan Delgado's sac fly to score Eric Campbell gave the RedHawks a 5-3 lead.
Coles, Josh Mazzola and Amos Ramon each had two hits for the Goldeyes, who grounded three double plays in the game. Two of the double plays were line drives to Fargo second baseman Carlo Cota, who then doubled up the Winnipeg base runner at first base.
Goldeyes starter Matt Rusch went six and a third innings, allowing three runs and striking out three. He takes the no decision. Brian Beuning is the hard luck loser after giving up two unearned runs in the eighth inning.
Kevin Fuqua picks up the win for Fargo, while Tom Boleska earns his 25th save of the season.
The Goldeyes and RedHawks meet against Tuesday night at Newman Outdoor Field at 7 p.m. Lefty Todd Privett (5-4, 3.25) will toe the slab for Winnipeg, while Fargo will counter with Tyler Herron (8-3, 4.02).
The pre-game show on TSN 1290 with Paul Edmonds begins at 6:30 p.m.
American Association Stories from August 13, 2012
- One Out Rally Sparks RedHawks 5-3 Victory over Goldeyes - Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks
- Lone Error Proves Costly - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Wingnuts Take Close Game from El Paso - Wichita Wingnuts
- Wingnuts Use 1-2 Punch To End Diablos' Three Game Winning Streak - El Paso Diablos
- Ruwe Goes the Distance as Saints Win 5-1 - St. Paul Saints
- Ruwe, Saints Shut Down RailCats in Series Opener - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Wingnuts Reload for Stretch Run - Wichita Wingnuts
- Hodsdon Named Pitcher of the Week - El Paso Diablos
- Karr's 11th-Inning Blast Completes Laredo Comeback - Grand Prairie AirHogs
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
- Hodsdon Shuts Down X's Again - Sioux City Explorers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.