Three Chicago Fire Players Called up for International FriendliesAugust 12, 2012 - Major League Soccer (MLS) Chicago Fire
Goalkeeper Sean Johnson has been called up by head coach Jurgen Klinsmann for the United States Men's National Team's friendly match against Mexico at Estadio Azteca in Mexico City, Mexico on Aug. 15 at 7:00 p.m. CT (ESPN2). Johnson, who is in his third season with the Fire, has been capped twice for the United States. Johnson recently represented the United States at the U23 level during CONCACAF Olympic Qualifying. Johnson receives the nod after a run of impressive performances for the Men in Red, including a career-high ten saves against the San Jose Earthquakes on July 28. In 19 games this season for the Fire, Johnson has accumulated a 9-6-4 record including four shutouts and 66 saves. Johnson will report to Mexico City on Monday, Aug. 13.
Guatemalan midfielder Marco Pappa receives the call up for los Chapines' friendly against Paraguay at RFK Memorial Stadium in Washington, D.C. at 5:00 p.m. CT on Aug. 15. Since his international debut in 2008, Pappa has earned 28 international caps for Guatemala. Pappa scored a goal in Guatemala's last match, a 1-1 draw against the United States in CONCACAF World Cup Qualifying action at Estadio Mateo Flores in Guatemala City, Guatemala on June 12. Pappa currently leads the Men in Red with six goals this season.
Orr Barouch will represent the Israel U-21 squad when they take on the Russian U-21 side on Aug. 15 at Arena Khimki in Khimki, Russia. Born in Haifa, Israel, Barouch has represented Israel at the U-21 level four times, scoring once. This season Barouch has appeared in nine games for the Men in Red, starting in the Fire's June 2 match against the New England Revolution at Gillette Stadium in Foxborough, Mass.
Barouch will miss the Chicago Fire - Philadelphia Union match tonight at PPL Park. Johnson and Pappa are expected to return ahead of the Fire's match against the New England Revolution at Toyota Park on Saturday, Aug. 18 at 7:30 p.m. CT (NBC5.2/97.5 ESPN Deportes).
Major League Soccer Stories from August 12, 2012
- Chicago Fire Rally to Top Philadelphia Union 3-1 - Chicago Fire
- MLS Reserve League: Seattle Sounders FC 0 at San Jose Earthquakes 3 - Seattle Sounders FC
- Beckerman, Rimando, SaborÃo and Johnson Earn Call Ups for August 15 FIFA Date - Real Salt Lake
- Earthquakes' Wondolowski, Beitashour Named US Men's National Team for Friendly in Mexico City - San Jose Earthquakes
- Three Chicago Fire Players Called up for International Friendlies - Chicago Fire
- Sporting KC Sends Three to National Teams - Sporting Kansas City
- Sporting KC Posts 2-1 Win over D.C. United - Sporting Kansas City
- Lenhart Provides Another Miracle Finish with Last-Second Strike to Lead Earthquakes over Sounders FC - San Jose Earthquakes
- Sounders FC fall to Earthquakes - Seattle Sounders FC
- Ten-Man Rapids Drop 3-2 Result to FC Dallas - Colorado Rapids
- FC Dallas Nets Three Goals in Eight-Minute Span to Down Rapids, 3-2 - FC Dallas
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.