Lugnuts end skid with 4-3 12-inning winAugust 11, 2012 - Midwest League (MWL) Lansing Lugnuts
The win snapped a season-long four-game losing streak for the Lugs; it was also Lansing's third consecutive extra-inning game.
The Lugnuts did not record a hit after the seventh until Fermin's leadoff single against Loons reliever Danny Coulombe (Loss, 0-1) in the twelfth. Fermin was wild-pitched to third before Patterson drove him in with his game-winning single.
Brandon Berl (Win, 3-5) entered the game in the bottom of the 10th with two outs and the potential game-winning run in scoring position because reliever Tyler Ybarra left with an injury. Berl finished off the tenth and tossed a scoreless eleventh.
Ajay Meyer (Save, 31) struck out a pair in a perfect twelfth inning for the Lugs to increase his Midwest League-leading saves total.
Lugs relievers stranded Loons in scoring position in the fifth through the tenth inning. Overall, the Loons went 2-for-20 with runners in scoring position and left 13 men on base. Five Lugnuts relievers combined to toss seven scoreless innings.
K.C. Hobson gave the Lugnuts 1-0 and 2-1 leads when he hit a two-out RBI double in the first inning and a two-out RBI single in the third.
Nick Baligod (1-for-6) tied the game in the seventh inning with a solo home run.
Loons catcher Michael Pericht had given the Loons a lead in the fifth inning with a two-run homer off Lugnuts starter Justin Nicolino. The lefty tossed five innings, allowed three runs, two of which were earned, six hits, one walk and struck out four.
Loons starter Arismendy Ozoria went 5 1/3 innings, allowing seven hits, two runs, two walks and striking out five.
The middle affair of the three-game series is Sunday, August 12th at 2:05 p.m. Lansing will start Anthony DeSclafani (9-3, 2.78). The Loons send Raydel Sanchez (3-6, 4.26) to the mound.
Lansing returns home on Wednesday, August 15th at 7:05 p.m., opening a three-game set against the Fort Wayne TinCaps. The series opener is a Ladies Night, featuring food and drink specials as well as salon services from City Salon. Tickets are available for purchase online at www.lansinglugnuts.com, at the Cooley Law School Stadium box office, and by calling 517-485-4500.
Midwest League Stories from August 11, 2012
- Ramirez delivers game-winning hit in the thirteenth - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Loons Suffer Extra-Innings Defeat - Great Lakes Loons
- Hot Rods Snatch Victory from 'Caps in Fifteen - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Chiefs Win 5-3 Saturday - Peoria Chiefs
- Lugnuts end skid with 4-3 12-inning win - Lansing Lugnuts
- Bad Luck Befalls Bees in 9-8 Loss to Bandits - Burlington Bees
- Soler's Blasts Ends Snappers' Winning Streak - Beloit Snappers
- River Bandits Win Late, 9-8, with Wild Comeback over Bees - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Cougars clip Kernels, 4-3 - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Groff, Hawks Power Past Captains - South Bend Silver Hawks
- Hawks Halt Captains 7-2 - Lake County Captains
- Dragons Battle Back to Win, 4-3 on Saturday - Dayton Dragons
- Wisler Shines in Fort Wayne Loss - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Cougars Clip Kernels - Kane County Cougars
- Reliever Crawford Joins Hot Rods, McEachern to D.L. - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Dragons Gameday for August 11 - Dayton Dragons
- Parking Advisory for August 12 - Beloit Snappers
- Aaron Meade to Inland Empire; Brandon Lodge activated from DL - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Chiefs Drop Finale in Burlington 10-5 - Peoria Chiefs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.