Grizzlies Shutout Miners; Even Series in MarionAugust 11, 2012 - Frontier League (FL) Gateway Grizzlies
The shutout win was the Grizzlies seventh this season, tying a franchise record for a single season (2003).
Kaminsky (9-4) silenced the Miners bats, allowing only two hits and two walks, while striking out six batters. He is now tied with Tim Brown for the team lead in wins and one away from the Frontier League leader in wins.
Jordan Cudney pitched a scoreless eighth inning and closer Richard Barrett worked around a runner in the ninth inning to collect his team-leading 12th save of the season.
Gateway (45-32) scored their first of two runs in the second inning on a Miners error. Chris McClendon and John Shelby both singled before Jerod Yakubik hit a short fly to left field that Southern Illinois (45-32) outfielder Chad Maddox couldn't catch, allowing McClendon to score the game's first run.
Landon Hernandez supplied a late insurance run for the Grizzlies pitchers. Rogelio Noris singled and stole second base with one out in the eighth inning. After advancing to third on a fly out, McClendon walked and Hernandez drove in Noris on a double.
Hernandez paced the Grizzlies offensively, picking up three of the team's eight hits.
Gateway remains a half-game back of Windy City for first place in the Frontier League West Division after the ThunderBolts win against Evansville Saturday night.
The Grizzlies and Miners play the rubber game of their series Sunday night in Marion, IL. Right-hander Brett Zawacki (1-1) makes the start for the Grizzlies. First pitch is set for 5:05.
Playoff tickets are now on sale through the Grizzlies Ticket Office. To get tickets, call 618.337.3000 or go online to gatewaygrizzlies.com.
Frontier League Stories from August 11, 2012
- Grizzlies Shutout Miners; Even Series in Marion - Gateway Grizzlies
- Fowler Pitches Seven Innings in Loss - Southern Illinois Miners
- ThunderBolts beat Evansville - Windy City ThunderBolts
- Crushers score two late to beat Florence, 5-3 - Lake Erie Crushers
- Rascals Fall to CornBelters 7-2 - River City Rascals
- Slammers Bounce Back in 2-1 Win over Rockford - Joliet Slammers
- Long Ball Outburst Drives Beach Bums to 50th Win - Traverse City Beach Bums
- Windy City Rallies Late to Tie up Series against Evansville - Evansville Otters
- CornBelters beat the River City Rascals 7-2 - Normal CornBelters
- Rucinski Strikes out 10 in Loss - Rockford RiverHawks
- Beach Bums Homer Past Boomers - Schaumburg Boomers
- August 11 Joliet Slammers Game Notes - Joliet Slammers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.