Fowler Pitches Seven Innings in LossAugust 11, 2012 - Frontier League (FL) Southern Illinois Miners
Gateway scored their first run of the game off an error by Chad Maddox in the top of the second inning. With third baseman Chris McClendon on second base and right fielder John Shelby on first base with two outs, first baseman Jerod Yakubik hit a line drive to Maddox that fell out of his glove, which allowed McClendon to score. The Grizzlies led 1-0 heading into the bottom of the second inning.
The Grizzlies would score one more run in the top of the eighth inning off Miners reliever Gabriel Shaw as Landon Hernandez hit a two out RBI double to give the Grizzlies a 2-0 lead. Gabriel Shaw gave up two hits in the inning and one run. He struck out two batters in his appearance. Steven Grife pitched a scoreless top of the ninth inning and only gave up a walk. He recorded one strike out.
Richard Barrett closed out the game for the Grizzlies in the bottom of the ninth inning to earn his 12th save on the season.
The Miners had only four hits on the night: a double by Carlos Mendez in the second inning, a single by Cory Harrilchak in the sixth inning, a single by Cannon Lester in the eighth inning and a single by Javier Herrera in the bottom of the ninth inning.
With the loss, the Miners fall to 45-32 on the season. They now trail Traverse City by five games in the Eastern Division. The Miners and Grizzlies wrap up a three game set tomorrow night at Rent One Park. The Miners will send LHP Daniel Calhoun to the mound against RHP Brett Zawacki. First pitch is at 5:05 pm.
The Southern Illinois Miners have been awarded the Frontier League Organization of the Year three times since its inception. It has also set a new Frontier League attendance record in 2007. For media inquiries concerning the Miners, please contact Mike Ventola, Director of Media Relations 618-998-8499 ext. 8547 or email@example.com. For ticket information please contact the Rent One Park Box Office at 618-998-8499. For any additional information, visit our website at www.southernillinoisminers.com.
Frontier League Stories from August 11, 2012
- Grizzlies Shutout Miners; Even Series in Marion - Gateway Grizzlies
- Fowler Pitches Seven Innings in Loss - Southern Illinois Miners
- ThunderBolts beat Evansville - Windy City ThunderBolts
- Crushers score two late to beat Florence, 5-3 - Lake Erie Crushers
- Rascals Fall to CornBelters 7-2 - River City Rascals
- Slammers Bounce Back in 2-1 Win over Rockford - Joliet Slammers
- Long Ball Outburst Drives Beach Bums to 50th Win - Traverse City Beach Bums
- Windy City Rallies Late to Tie up Series against Evansville - Evansville Otters
- CornBelters beat the River City Rascals 7-2 - Normal CornBelters
- Rucinski Strikes out 10 in Loss - Rockford RiverHawks
- Beach Bums Homer Past Boomers - Schaumburg Boomers
- August 11 Joliet Slammers Game Notes - Joliet Slammers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.