Miners Cruise by Grizzlies in Series OpenerAugust 10, 2012 - Frontier League (FL) Gateway Grizzlies
The loss was the Grizzlies third in their last four games. Despite the loss, Gateway (44-32) stayed a half game back of Windy City in the Frontier League West Division, due to the ThunderBolts loss Friday night.
Javier Herrera, acquired by the Miners in a trade with the Rockford RiverHawks late Thursday night, homered on the second pitch he saw in a Miners uniform to give them a 1-0 first inning lead.
The score stayed 1-0 until the third when Southern Illinois tallied three runs on three hits and one Grizzlies error.
Southern Illinois (45-31) scored two more runs in the sixth to take a six-run lead off Grizzlies starter, Paul Tremlin (5-3). Cory Harrilchak drove in both runs on a double to left field.
Tremlin ended up going all eight innings. The right-hander from Quartz Hill, CA gave up five earned runs on five hits, whiling striking out six and walking four.
Gateway put together a rally in the late innings. Landon Hernandez and Jonathan Johnson singled in the eighth before Antone DeJesus drove in two runs on his second triple of the season.
John Shelby brought home the Grizzlies final run with a single in the ninth inning.
Gateway only collected seven hits, with Johnson pacing the offense with a 2-for-4 night.
The Grizzlies and Miners continue their series Saturday night in Marion, IL. Right-hander Alex Kaminsky (8-4) makes the start for the Grizzlies. First pitch is set for 7:05.
Playoff tickets are now on sale through the Grizzlies Ticket Office. To get tickets, call 618.337.3000 or go online to gatewaygrizzlies.com.
Frontier League Stories from August 10, 2012
- Hawks Win in 13 - Rockford RiverHawks
- Slammers Fall in 13th Inning to RiverHawks - Joliet Slammers
- Freedom Dominate Crushers in Series Opening Win - Florence Freedom
- ThunderBolts lose to Otters - Windy City ThunderBolts
- Evansville Native Throws Three-Hit Gem in Three-Run Win - Evansville Otters
- Harden Goes Eight Strong in Win - Southern Illinois Miners
- Miners Cruise by Grizzlies in Series Opener - Gateway Grizzlies
- Wild Things Defeat Road Warriors - Washington Wild Things
- Clem, Flagg Propel Beach Bums to Fifth Straight Win - Traverse City Beach Bums
- Freedom use six run rally to beat Crushers, 9-3 - Lake Erie Crushers
- CornBelters fall to Rascals - Normal CornBelters
- Traverse City Walks Past Boomers in Series Opener - Schaumburg Boomers
- Upcoming Fun and Excitement with the Schaumburg Boomers - Schaumburg Boomers
- August 10 Joliet Slammers Game Notes - Joliet Slammers
- RiverHawks Acquire Rookies - Rockford RiverHawks
- RiverHawks Trade Herrera - Rockford RiverHawks
- Miners Acquire Javier Herrera - Southern Illinois Miners
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.