Timbers Acquire New Zealand International Ian Hogg, Trade Defender Mike Chabala to D.C. UnitedAugust 9, 2012 - Major League Soccer (MLS) Portland Timbers
Hogg, 22, recently competed for New Zealand in the London 2012 Olympics and has four caps with the senior New Zealand National Team. Hogg has played six seasons in New Zealand's first division, the ASB Premiership. He will be added to the roster officially upon receipt of his P-1 Visa and International Transfer Certificate.
"Ian is a young, talented left back with good athleticism and a desire to succeed," Wilkinson said. "We have signed him through the remainder of the season and look forward to closely evaluating him as we move to next season."
A native of Auckland, New Zealand, Hogg played in all three group-stage matches for the "Oly Whites" at the London 2012 Olympics. He made his senior international debut May 23, scoring a goal in a friendly against El Salvador, and also played in two 2014 FIFA World Cup qualifiers during the OFC Nations Cup in June. Hogg has been a part of the New Zealand National Team system at the U-20 and U-23 levels and also competed in the Beijing 2008 Olympics.
Hogg began his career at the age of 16 with Hawke's Bay United during the 2006-07 season. He played the past three seasons (2009-12) for Auckland City FC, helping the club to three consecutive playoff appearances, two FIFA Club World Cup appearances (2009, 2011) and back-to-back O-League titles in 2010-11 and 2011-12. Hogg was selected as Auckland City's Young Player of the Year following the 2009-10 campaign, in which he played in 31 matches and scored two goals across all competitions.
Chabala, 28, played in 23 matches (19 starts) and recorded a goal and two assists for the Timbers since joining the club from the Houston Dynamo in a trade July 21, 2011. He played nine games for Portland in 2012. In his career, Chabala has played 70 MLS matches with Houston (2006-11) and Portland, logging 5,154 minutes, two goals and nine assists.
"We appreciate Mike's contributions to the team and thought it was best to give him this opportunity for more playing time and a fresh start with a new club," Wilkinson said.
Major League Soccer Stories from August 9, 2012
- MLS Reschedules Columbus-Toronto Match to August 22 - Toronto FC
- Crew vs. Toronto Match Rescheduled for August 22 - Columbus Crew
- MLS Reschedules Columbus-Toronto Match to August 22 - MLS
- MLS Disciplinary Committee Suspends and Fines Montreal Impact Defender Nelson Rivas - MLS
- Dynamo Face New York Red Bulls on Friday Seeking Sixth Consecutive Win - Houston Dynamo
- Rapids Name Dave Dir New Assistant/Goalkeeper Coach - Colorado Rapids
- Three Red Bulls Called for International Duty - New York Red Bulls
- Sporting Kansas City Weekly Update - Sporting Kansas City
- D.C. United Acquires Mike Chabala from the Portland Timbers - D.C. United
- Earthquakes D Victor Bernardez and M Marvin Chavez Named to Honduras National Team Roster - San Jose Earthquakes
- Four Dynamo Players Called up for International Friendlies - Houston Dynamo
- Timbers Acquire New Zealand International Ian Hogg, Trade Defender Mike Chabala to D.C. United - Portland Timbers
- Sounders FC Falls to Sporting KC in U.S. Open Cup Final - Seattle Sounders FC
- Sporting KC Crowned Champions of U.S. Open Cup - Sporting Kansas City
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.