ThunderBolts Outslug FreedomAugust 8, 2012 - Frontier League (FL) Florence Freedom
Freedom starter Sean Gregory didn't make it out of the 1st inning, as a crucial error occurred the second batter of the game. After Gregory retired leadoff batter Michael Torres, Chris Wade hit a grounder to shortstop Junior Arrojo whose throw was right on target. However Drew Rundle couldn't hang on to the throw at first base which was the start of a big inning. The ThunderBolts went on to take a 6-0 lead before the Freedom even came to bat. Gregory earned a no decision giving up 6 runs(4 earned).
The Freedom rallied against Windy City starter Stephen Sauer. Eddie Rodriguez got the Freedom on the scoreboard in the 1st after his two out RBI double. Then in the 3rd, Rundle hit a grand slam bomb over the right field fence to make it 6-5. It was his 10th homerun of the season and the first grand slam by a Freedom player this year. The Freedom then tied the game and took their first lead in the 4th. Arrojo reached on a fielder's choice which scored Stephen Cardullo to tie the game at 6-6. Peter Fastse then recorded his team leading 54th RBI on an RBI single which gave Florence a 7-6 lead. The Freedom scored seven unanswered runs.
Windy City came back against the Freedom bullpen in the 7th. Chad Cregar hit his 24th homerun of the season against Brad Allen to tie the game at 7-7. In the 8th Jareck West contributed a SAC fly against Brennan Flick which gave the ThunderBolts the lead again at 8-7. They would add one more run on a Chris Wade homer in the 9th. It was the third homerun of the game hit by the ThunderBolts.
Shane Zegarac(1-1) got the win in relief as Brennan Flick(6-1) suffered his first loss of the season giving up two runs in the 8th and 9th.
The Freedom will look to avoid the three game sweep from Windy City on Thursday night. RHP Mike Recchia(10-2) will get the ball for Windy City. Florence will counter with RHP Brandon Mathes(2-0 3.80) The game can be heard starting at 6:50 on Real Talk 1160 AM and realtalk1160.com.
Frontier League Stories from August 8, 2012
- Joliet Clinches 5-4 Win with Walk-Off Base Hit - Joliet Slammers
- ThunderBolts Outslug Freedom - Florence Freedom
- RiverHawks squander chances in 8-2 loss - Rockford RiverHawks
- Miners Hit Their Way to Win - Southern Illinois Miners
- Lake Erie offense erupts in 9-4 victory - Lake Erie Crushers
- Crushers Take Series from Grizzlies - Gateway Grizzlies
- Back to School Supply Drive for Victims of Harrisburg Tornado - Southern Illinois Miners
- Boomers Post Rain Shortened Shutout - Schaumburg Boomers
- Traverse City Rallies Back for 4-2 Win over Evansville Otters - Evansville Otters
- Rascals Lose Season-High Fifth Straight - River City Rascals
- ThunderBolts Hold off Florence 9-7 - Windy City ThunderBolts
- Burch Blast Backs up Excellent Pitching Performance - Traverse City Beach Bums
- Chris Smith Tosses Second Complete-Game Shutout - Washington Wild Things
- Wild Things Top 'Belters in Game Two - Normal CornBelters
- P Rich Mascheri Joining New York Yankees Organization - Normal CornBelters
- August 8 Joliet Slammers Game Notes - Joliet Slammers
- Four-Time Stanley Cup Champion Highlights Beach Bums Upcoming Homestand - Traverse City Beach Bums
- Giveaways Galore this Weekend - Lake Erie Crushers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.