Boomers Post Rain Shortened ShutoutAugust 8, 2012 - Frontier League (FL) Schaumburg Boomers
Schaumburg scored two runs in the first inning on a two-run double off the bat of Steve McQuail and added a single tally in the second on a sacrifice fly from Sean Mahley. That was more than enough for Robby Donovan, who worked through five shutout frames, surrendering just four hits with three walks and four strikeouts. The Boomers provided plenty of insurance with a seven-run fourth, chasing starter Justin Sarratt. Schaumburg sent 12 men to the plate and received two-run singles from McQuail, Drew Heithoff, and Jereme Milons.
The Boomers (43-31) posted 12 hits in the contest, which was shortened to seven innings. Storms were threatening through most of the night but the skies finally opened in the top of the eighth, forcing the cancellation of the contest. McQuail drove home five runs, the most in a game by a Boomer this season, while Mahley added three hits as well.
RHP Matt Kuna (2-3, 3.31) starts for the Boomers in the finale tomorrow night at 7:05 p.m. opposite RHP Preston Vancil (4-8, 4.15) as the Boomers aim for the sweep.
* Nine of the last 16 games have been shutouts for the Boomers, five for and four against
* Ty Nelson entered behind the plate in the bottom of the seventh inning while Nate Baumann pinch hit for Jereme Milons in the sixth
* Jose Rodriguez tossed two scoreless innings with three strikeouts
Season Tickets, Group Outings and single-game tickets for the Inaugural Season of Schaumburg Boomers Baseball are on sale now by calling the 847.461.3695, by visiting www.boomersbaseball.com or by stopping by Schaumburg Boomers Stadium located at 1999 S. Springinsguth Road in Schaumburg.
Frontier League Stories from August 8, 2012
- Joliet Clinches 5-4 Win with Walk-Off Base Hit - Joliet Slammers
- ThunderBolts Outslug Freedom - Florence Freedom
- RiverHawks squander chances in 8-2 loss - Rockford RiverHawks
- Miners Hit Their Way to Win - Southern Illinois Miners
- Lake Erie offense erupts in 9-4 victory - Lake Erie Crushers
- Crushers Take Series from Grizzlies - Gateway Grizzlies
- Back to School Supply Drive for Victims of Harrisburg Tornado - Southern Illinois Miners
- Boomers Post Rain Shortened Shutout - Schaumburg Boomers
- Traverse City Rallies Back for 4-2 Win over Evansville Otters - Evansville Otters
- Rascals Lose Season-High Fifth Straight - River City Rascals
- ThunderBolts Hold off Florence 9-7 - Windy City ThunderBolts
- Burch Blast Backs up Excellent Pitching Performance - Traverse City Beach Bums
- Chris Smith Tosses Second Complete-Game Shutout - Washington Wild Things
- Wild Things Top 'Belters in Game Two - Normal CornBelters
- P Rich Mascheri Joining New York Yankees Organization - Normal CornBelters
- August 8 Joliet Slammers Game Notes - Joliet Slammers
- Four-Time Stanley Cup Champion Highlights Beach Bums Upcoming Homestand - Traverse City Beach Bums
- Giveaways Galore this Weekend - Lake Erie Crushers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.