Barons Cap Comeback on Williams Jr.'s Walk-OffAugust 6, 2012 - Southern League (SL) Birmingham Barons
With the score tied at 3-3 in the ninth, outfielder Justin Greene sent a line drive double to center field, his third hit of the night. He would advance to third on a sacrifice bunt by Luis Sierra before scoring on a Kenny Williams Jr. drive to the wall in right field, officially ruled a single. For the third time during the Barons' ten-game homestand, a mob scene ensued as Williams Jr. was mobbed by his delirious teammates.
The Barons jumped out to an early 1-0 lead on an RBI double by Carlos Sanchez in the first. With the hit, Sanchez has hit safely in 15-of-16 games since his promotion to the Barons from Class A Winston-Salem.
The BayBears would come back to take a 2-1 lead in the fourth on a Ryan Strieby sacrifice fly and an RBI single by David Nick. Both runs came against starter Jacob Petricka who was hit in the foot by line drives in consecutive at-bats in the inning but stayed on to throw 6.0 solid innings on the night. Mobile would tack on another run in the sixth on another RBI base hit by Nick, pushing the lead to 3-1.
The Barons would come back to tie the game late starting in the seventh when Greene stretched a sure single into a double and scored on a double by Williams Jr. Andy Wilkins would then tie the game with a two out double to the wall in left an inning later. The left fielder Brett Clevlen had a chance to catch the ball but had it drop out of his glove after colliding with the wall, all of which set up Williams Jr.'s heroics in the ninth.
The win went to reliever Santos Rodriguez (1-4, 3.05) who held the BayBears scoreless in the ninth. The loss went to Bo Schultz (1-3, 2.77) who allowed two runs on four hits in 1.1 innings.
With the win, the Barons improved to 52-61 and 22-22 in the second half while Mobile fell to 57-57 and 17-27 in the second half. The win gave the Barons their second-straight series victory after taking 3-of-5 against the Jackson Generals. They will look to take 4-of-5 games against the BayBears tomorrow night as RHP Nick McCully (1-1, 5.73) takes the hill against LHP David Holmberg (2-4, 4.63). First pitch is scheduled for 7:05 PM CDT.
Southern League Stories from August 6, 2012
- Stars Score Five Unanswered Runs, Down Wahoos 5-3 - Pensacola Blue Wahoos
- Generals Escape, Take Third Straight and Series - Jackson Generals
- Barons Cap Comeback on Williams Jr.'s Walk-Off - Birmingham Barons
- Suns Burn Biscuits 11-7 - Jacksonville Suns
- M-Braves Pick up Franchise Win #500 with 2-1 Win over Chattanooga - Mississippi Braves
- Bour Stays Hot, But Smokies Fall Short at Jackson, 7-6 - Tennessee Smokies
- Biscuits Drop 4th-Straight to Suns - Montgomery Biscuits
- M-Braves Edge Lookouts, 2-1 - Chattanooga Lookouts
- SS Segura Recalled by Milwaukee - Huntsville Stars
- Bour Wins League "Hitter of the Week" Award - Tennessee Smokies
- Generals Game Notes - Jackson Generals
- Krick Transferred To Jupiter; Cox Reinstated From Disabled List - Jacksonville Suns
- M-Braves Charity Golf Tournament August 29 at The Refuge - Mississippi Braves
- Cubs' Lendy Castillo To Rehab With Smokies - Tennessee Smokies
- Graham Taylor Named SL Pitcher of Week Again - Jacksonville Suns
- M-Braves Homestand Highlights August 8-12 - Mississippi Braves
- BayBears Cuffed by Barons in 8-4 Loss - Mobile BayBears
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.