Yankees Begin Road Trip with 9-2 Victory over Red WingsAugust 6, 2012 - International League (IL) Scranton/Wilkes-Barre Yankees
The Yankees jumped on Rochester starting pitcher Pedro Hernandez early with a three-run first inning. Kevin Russo, Chris Dickerson, and Eduardo Nunez led off the game with consecutive singles. With one out in the inning Brandon Laird extended the lead to 2-0 with an RBI single to centerfield. Melky Mesa completed the Yankee scoring in the first with an RBI single to left. Scranton/Wilkes-Barre came right back in the top half of the second scoring three more runs. With two outs in the inning Nunez crushed a ground rule double over Clete Thomas' head in centerfield, bringing home Ramiro Pena. Ronnier Mustelier joined the RBI parade with a double to right-center and then came around to score on Laird's second RBI single of the night.
Rochester got two runs back in the home half of the second inning on a two-RBI double off the bat of Ray Chang. However, the two runs in the second were all the runs the Red Wings could push across in the ballgame. The Yankees added an insurance run in the third inning when Pena scored from third on a fielder's choice off of Dickerson's bat making it a 7-2 ballgame.
Laird continued his big night in the top of the eighth with a two-run shot into the Yankees bullpen in left field off of Red Wings position player Matt Carson. Laird would finish the night with three hits, and four RBI. Carson was not the only position player to make an appearance in the ball game for the Red Wings as former Scranton/Wilkes-Barre Yankee Rene Rivera tossed a scoreless ninth inning.
Chase Whitley picked up the win in relief of Scranton/Wilkes-Barre starter Justin Thomas. Whitley tossed four perfect innings, while striking out three Red Wings hitters en route to the Yankee win. With the win Whitley moves to 8-5 on the season. Thomas allowed just two runs on two hits in three innings on the bump for Scranton/Wilkes-Barre. Juan Cedeno tossed the final two scoreless innings for the Yankees. Hernandez suffered the loss in his Rochester Red Wings debut. The right-hander allowed six runs on 10 hits, while striking out two in just two innings on the bump.
International League Stories from August 6, 2012
- Tides Take Opener from G-Braves, 7-4 - Gwinnett Braves
- Bulls Beat Clippers in Rain Shortened Game - Durham Bulls
- Chiefs, Bisons Split Doubleheader Nailbiters - Syracuse Chiefs
- Knights Edge Indians 1-0 in Pitchers Duel - Indianapolis Indians
- Yankees Begin Road Trip with 9-2 Victory over Red Wings - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre Yankees
- Rochester Red Wings Post-Game Notes- Empire State 9, Rochester 2 - Rochester Red Wings
- PawSox Punish the Pigs at McCoy - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Rochester Red Wings Game Notes - Monday, August 6 vs. Empire State (Yankees) - Rochester Red Wings
- Bisons Add LHP C.J. Nitkowski from Binghamton - Buffalo Bisons
- Bisons Announce 2013 Schedule & Game Times - Buffalo Bisons
- IronPigs Game Notes - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- VandenHurk Named IL Pitcher of the Week - Indianapolis Indians
- SWB Yankees & Rochester Red Wings Hope Week Events - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre Yankees
- Indians & Knights Square off in First-Place Matchup - Indianapolis Indians
- Rochester Red Wings' First Baseman Chris Parmelee Named IL Player of the Week - Rochester Red Wings
- Support B.R.A.K.E.S. Night with Kyle Busch Coming to Knights Stadium - Charlotte Knights
- Bisons Notes - Buffalo at Syracuse (Game 1: 5:00 Pm) - Buffalo Bisons
- SWB Yankees Announce 2013 Schedule - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre Yankees
- International League Names Players of the Week - IL
- Hens Lose 10-9 in Longest Game in Fifth Third Field History - Toledo Mud Hens
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.