Vazquez, Cortez Help Tigers to SweepAugust 6, 2012 - New York-Penn League (NYPL) Connecticut Tigers
The Tigers finish their six-game road trip with a 4-2 record.
The Tigers scored two runs in the third inning. DH Jared Reaves (0-4) walked and went to second base when 3B Tyler Hanover (2-5) singled.
Vasquez singled to score Reaves and CF Patrick Smith (1-5) drove in Hanover with a single for a 2-0 Tigers lead.
Connecticut tacked on four runs in the third inning. 2B Jordan Dean (1-3) walked and stole second base. C Bennett Pickar (1-4) reached on a fielder's choice as Williamsport SS Roman Quinn threw late to third base.
Cortez doubled home both runners for a 4-0 lead. Vasquez lined a single to left field to score Cortez for a 5-0 lead.
Connecticut tacked on a run in the fifth inning because of some wild pitching by Williamsport RHP Delvin Perez. After walks to Dean and Pickar, Perez threw two wild pitches with Dean scoring on the second wild pitch for a 6-0 Tigers advantage.
The Crosscutters scored a single run in the fifth inning to cut the score down to 6-1.
LF Zach Kirksey (0-4) added an RBI sacrifice fly to right field in the sixth inning to move the score to 7-1.
The Tigers return home to start a three-game series with the Staten Island Yankees on Tuesday at 7:05 p.m. It's Kayem Dollar Dog Night with all hot dogs selling for just a dollar sponsored by Kayem All Natural Hot Dogs. LHP Hua-Wei Lo (2-1, 2.88) for Connecticut will oppose RHP Andrew Benak (1-4, 5.23) for Staten Island.
Pre-game radio coverage begins at 6:50 p.m. on AM 1310 WICH and online at www.cttigers.com
The Connecticut Tigers are the Class-A affiliate of the Detroit Tigers and play in the New York-Penn League. The Tigers saw a 23% increase in attendance in 2011, (the 4th highest in Minor League Baseball), and are in their 3rd season at Dodd Stadium. Tickets are now on sale! The Box Office is open 9 a.m.-5 p.m. Monday through Friday. In addition, tickets can be purchased over the phone at (860) 887-7962. For more information go online to cttigers.com .
New York-Penn League Stories from August 6, 2012
- Vasquez Flashes Leather, But Spikes Drop 4-1 Decision - State College Spikes
- Cutters suffer sweep to Connecticut Tigers - Williamsport Crosscutters
- Vermont Rallies Late For 4-3 Win Over Batavia - Vermont Lake Monsters
- Vazquez, Cortez Help Tigers to Sweep - Connecticut Tigers
- Gausman, Coffey Shut Down Spikes - Aberdeen IronBirds
- Connecticut Tigers Home Stand August 7-9 - Connecticut Tigers
- State College Spikes Game Notes - August 6 vs. Aberdeen - State College Spikes
- Spinners Complete Sweep as Pitching Shines Again - Lowell Spinners
- International Camporee Visitors to Attend Tigers Game on August 9 - Connecticut Tigers
- Spikes to Pay Tribute to Pirates' Lucky Sign with Salute to Zoltan Tonight - State College Spikes
- Scrappers Homestand - August 7-8 - Mahoning Valley Scrappers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.