Joe Sykes Named Afl's Gametape Exchange Defensive Lineman of the YearAugust 6, 2012 - Arena Football League (AFL) San Jose SaberCats
Sykes (6-5, 280, Southern) had a season for the ages along the defensive line on his way to being named to The Game Tape Exchange Defensive Lineman of the Year. The second year man out of Southern posted an AFL single season record for sacks in a season with 16.0. He broke the previous record of 15.5 set in 2010 by SaberCats teammate Gabe Nyenhuis when he was a member of the Tulsa Talons.
The First Team All-Arena selection finished the season with 33.0 total tackles, forced five fumbles, recovered two more, had an interception he returned for a touchdown and returned a blocked field goal for another score. Sykes is still up for the AFL's National Guard Most Valuable Player and Riddell Defensive Player of the Year. This marks the first time in Sykes' career that he has earned Game Tape Exchange Defensive Lineman of the Year honors.
He was awarded Riddell Defensive Player of the Week honors after recording a single-game franchise record four sacks against the Iowa Barnstormers on April 28. Sykes later earned the award again in Week 14 by recording two-and-a-half sacks and a 43-yard interception return for a touchdown against the Orlando Predators.
Arena Football League Stories from August 6, 2012
- Joe Sykes Named Afl's Gametape Exchange Defensive Lineman of the Year - San Jose SaberCats
- Sykes, Young Named Gte Defensive and Spalding Offensive Linemen of the Year - AFL
- John Dutton Named 2012 Al Lucas AFL Pulse Hero Award Winner - Cleveland Gladiators
- Milwaukee's Everett, Vasquez Named to All-Arena Team - Milwaukee Mustangs
- Hyland Named National Guard Community MVP of the Year - Utah Blaze
- Hyland, Dutton Awarded for Excellence in Community Service - AFL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.