Losing Streak Hits Four with 'Cats Walk-Off WinAugust 3, 2012 - Eastern League (EL) Altoona Curve
The Curve carried a 4-2 lead into the ninth after an insurance run scored in the top of the inning when Adalberto Santos trotted home from third on a wild pitch. Vic Black (2-2) was called in to try and convert his eighth save and it started well by Black retiring pinch hitter Rene Tosoni for the first out. Altoona's closer then issued back-to-back walks to Aaron Hicks and Chris Herrmann before getting a strikeout of Oswaldo Arcia for the inning's second out.
Colabello then connected with Black's 0-1 pitch and drove it out of the park over the wall in right-center to give the 'Cats the walk-off win. The Colabello home run is the first home run that Black has given up this season.
Altoona's first lead in the game came in the eighth inning thanks to Jarek Cunningham's two-run double off closer Bruce Pugh (3-1). The double erased a Rock Cats lead that had stood since the fourth when Nate Hanson hit a two-run homer off Curve starter Kyle McPherson. The two runs were the only ones that McPherson permitted on the day in his six innings of work.
Santos, Ramon Cabrera and Oscar Tejeda all had two-hit days in the loss with both of Cabrera's knocks going for extra bases. Altoona as a team had 10 hits and did have some missed opportunities, going 2-for-14 with runners in scoring position while leaving 10 men stranded on the bases.
The Curve (54-57) will look to end the four-game losing streak in Saturday's 7:05 p.m. game with the Rock Cats (60-52) at New Britain Stadium. LHP Kris Johnson (0-0, 2.25) takes the bump on Saturday for Altoona coming off his most successful start of the season with five innings of one-run ball vs. New Hampshire last Sunday. He'll be opposed on the hill by 'Cats LHP Blake Martin (3-5, 4.70) in the second game of the three-game series.
Airtime on ESPN Radio 1430, WVAM and the Curve Radio Network is scheduled for 6:35 p.m. For tickets and more information on the upcoming Curve homestand starting Monday night with postgame fireworks, call 877.99.CURVE, visit AltoonaCurve.com or stop by the box office windows at Peoples Natural Gas Field.
Eastern League Stories from August 3, 2012
- Diaz Slam Leads Aeros to 7-4 Victory - Akron Aeros
- Ruf Lights up B-Mets for Two Hr in 4-1 Win - Reading Fightin Phils
- Losing Streak Hits Four with 'Cats Walk-Off Win - Altoona Curve
- Errors Doom Baysox - Bowie Baysox
- Almonte, Nuno and Garcia Extend Streak to Eight - Trenton Thunder
- Rock Cats' Colabello Blasts Walk-Off Homer in 5-4 Win over Altoona - New Britain Rock Cats
- Clemens, Bocock Drive in 2 Runs Each on Friday Night - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- Sea Dogs Top Erie 5-1 Behind Great Pitching - Portland Sea Dogs
- Squirrels Fall Short in Harrisburg, 4-3 - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- Senators Score Two Late in 4-3 Win over Richmond - Harrisburg Senators
- Dogs Drop 'Wolves in Series Opener - Erie SeaWolves
- Gorski, B-Mets Burned by Homers in 4-1 Loss - Binghamton Mets
- Andrew Bailey Scheduled to Rehab with Sea Dogs on Sunday - Portland Sea Dogs
- Aeros Add Two Pitchers - Akron Aeros
- Erie SeaWolves at Portland Sea Dogs - Game Notes - Erie SeaWolves
- Three Fireworks Shows Highlight Second-To-Last Curve Homestand - Altoona Curve
- Flying Squirrels Game Notes at Harrsiburg - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- Sea Dogs Game Notes August 3 vs. Erie - Portland Sea Dogs
- B-Mets Game Notes: at Reading Phillies - Binghamton Mets
- OF Adonis Garcia Promoted to Trenton - Trenton Thunder
- Fisher Cats Fall in 17 Innings - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- 'Wolves Win 17 Inning Marathon - Erie SeaWolves
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.