Cubs Drop Seventh StraightAugust 3, 2012 - Pacific Coast League (PCL) Iowa Cubs
Brandon Wood knocked the first hit of the game in the second inning with a single to center that scored Chad Tracy to give the Sky Sox a lead early on.
Charlie Blackmon denied the I-Cubs from evening the score in the third. Alfredo Amezaga skied a shallow fly ball to the center fielder, who made the catch and fired home in time to catch Jeff Frazier tagging up from third.
The I-Cubs capitalized on a second chance to even the score in the eighth. Jeff Frazier reached on an infield single and advanced to third on a single off the bat of Jim Adduci. Brett Jackson followed with a soft grounder to shortstop Tommy Field, who committed a throwing error trying to force Adduci at second to allow Jackson to reach safely and Frazier to score the Cubs' first run.
Former Iowa Cub Brendan Harris sought revenge against his former team with a RBI-single to left in the ninth to give the Sox their final lead of the game. Hernan Iribarren unloaded a two-run single to extend the lead to three runs.
Ryan Rowland-Smith was called to make a spot start in place of Rodrigo Lopez, who was scratched before the game, and delivered his first quality start in three tries. The Australian allowed one run on two hits and struck out six in six innings off the mound, but did not get decision.
Esmailin Caridad entered the game in the seventh and fanned the first batter he faced in Chad Tracy. The Dominican import has now retired at least one batter on strikes in 24 consecutive appearances.
Jaye Chapman (0-1) allowed three runs in one inning to suffer the loss. Will Harris (2-0) earned the win despite allowing the Cubs' only run.
Adduci's single extended his hitting streak to seven games and Frazier went 3-for-3 in his first start as an I-Cub.
The Cubs will look to avoid the sweep as they send Chris Rusin (7-8) to the mound against the Sky Sox in the series finale tomorrow at Principal Park. First pitch is scheduled for 7:05 p.m. and the game will be broadcast live on AM 940 with the On-Deck Circle Pre-Game Show starting at 6:45 p.m.
Pacific Coast League Stories from August 3, 2012
- Round Rock wins 8-7 - Tucson Padres
- Chasers Fall 5-3; Five Game Win Streak Snapped - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Zephyrs Fall to Salt Lake - New Orleans Zephyrs
- Skaggs Dominant in 5-3 Aces' Victory - Reno Aces
- Round Rock Express Rally Past Tucson 8-7 - Round Rock Express
- Cubs Drop Seventh Straight - Iowa Cubs
- RedHawks Game Notes: August 3, 2012 - Oklahoma City RedHawks
- Coleman Rejoins Iowa, Parker Rehabs with I-Cubs - Iowa Cubs
- Reno Aces Aim to Beat the Heat with Hot Doggest Nights - Reno Aces
- Round Rock Express - Game Notes vs. Tucson Padres - Round Rock Express
- Cubs Name LHP Brooks Raley Minor League Pitcher of the Month - Iowa Cubs
- Rainiers, Union Bank Hit a Home Run for Area Youth - Tacoma Rainiers
- Sounds Lose to Fresno in Extras, 4-3 - Nashville Sounds
- Rainiers Roughed Up By RedHawks, 7-1 - Tacoma Rainiers
- Ely Resilient in 8-5 'Topes Win - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Cowgill Powers River Cats Past Redbirds, 4-3 - Sacramento River Cats
- RedHawks Snap Skid in 7-1 Victory - Oklahoma City RedHawks
- Salt Lake rallies for win - Salt Lake Bees
- Bees Sting Zephyrs, Snap Seven Game Win Streak - New Orleans Zephyrs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.