'Wolves Win 17 Inning MarathonAugust 3, 2012 - Eastern League (EL) Erie SeaWolves
The Fisher Cats jumped ahead on SeaWolves starter Patrick Cooper in the bottom of the first inning. John Tolisano led off with a triple off the wall and came home on a Jake Marisnick sacrifice fly to center for a 1-0 lead.
The SeaWolves took the lead in the top of the third against Fisher Cats starter Fernando Hernandez. Brandon Douglas led off with a bunt single and he moved to second on a James McCann knock to left. Jamie Johnson came through on a hit-and-run, sending a single through the left side, plating the tying run. Niuman Romero walked to load the bases and with one out, Jordan Lennerton lifted a sacrifice fly to left, scoring McCann for a 2-1 lead.
Erie extended the lead in the fifth. With two outs, Romero and Nick Castellanos each singled brining up Lennerton. Lennerton came up with his second RBI of the day on a base hit up the middle scoring Romero for a 3-1 lead.
New Hampshire cut the lead back down to one in the bottom of the fifth. Sean Ochinko singled with one out and moved to third on a Brian Bocock double. Brad McElroy grounded out, scoring Ochinko to make it 3-2.
The 'Wolves grew the lead in the top of the sixth. With one out, Daniel Fields lined to left and on an error by the left fielder Brad McElroy, landed safely at second. With two outs, Erie capitalized on the error as McCann laced a double down the left field line making it 4-2 Erie. Johnson singled home McCann and Romero doubled home Johnson for a 6-2 edge.
Erie remained in the lead until the bottom of the ninth inning. John Marisnick led off with a single off of Kelvin De La Cruz and Ryan Goins brought the Cats to within two connected on a two-run home run. After De La Cruz served up a Kevin Howard double, he was lifted for Bruce Rondon. Rondon retired Brad Glenn for the first out but gave up a two-run, game tying homer to Ryan Schimpf making it 6-6. It was the first blown save for Rondon since April 6 with Lakeland. He had converted on 25 straight until tonight.
The game remained tied until the top of the 11th. With one out, Douglas and McCann each singled putting runners on the corners. Johnson lifted a sacrifice fly to left, plating Douglas for a 7-6 lead.
The Fisher Cats promptly tied the game in the bottom of the 11th when Howard belted a leadoff, solo homer off of Ryan Robowski to tie the game.
In the bottom of the 16th, the Fisher Cats loaded the bases on reliever Robbie Weinhardt on a single and a pair of walks. Michael Morrison entered and struck out the next three hitters, sending the game into the 17th.
In the top of the 17th, Romero led off with a walk off of Chorye Spoone. Romero stole second to put the go-ahead run in scoring position. Lennerton then blasted an RBI double off the wall in right, scoring Romero for an 8-7 lead. With two outs, Rawley Bishop snapped an 0-for-10 skid at the plate with an RBI double for a 9-7 lead.
Morrison (3-3) struck out the first two in the bottom of the 17th and induced a pop out to end the game.
Cooper, who was in line for the win, took a no-decision allowing two runs on six hits with no walks and two strikeouts in seven innings.
Eastern League Stories from August 3, 2012
- Diaz Slam Leads Aeros to 7-4 Victory - Akron Aeros
- Ruf Lights up B-Mets for Two Hr in 4-1 Win - Reading Fightin Phils
- Losing Streak Hits Four with 'Cats Walk-Off Win - Altoona Curve
- Errors Doom Baysox - Bowie Baysox
- Almonte, Nuno and Garcia Extend Streak to Eight - Trenton Thunder
- Rock Cats' Colabello Blasts Walk-Off Homer in 5-4 Win over Altoona - New Britain Rock Cats
- Clemens, Bocock Drive in 2 Runs Each on Friday Night - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- Sea Dogs Top Erie 5-1 Behind Great Pitching - Portland Sea Dogs
- Squirrels Fall Short in Harrisburg, 4-3 - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- Senators Score Two Late in 4-3 Win over Richmond - Harrisburg Senators
- Dogs Drop 'Wolves in Series Opener - Erie SeaWolves
- Gorski, B-Mets Burned by Homers in 4-1 Loss - Binghamton Mets
- Andrew Bailey Scheduled to Rehab with Sea Dogs on Sunday - Portland Sea Dogs
- Aeros Add Two Pitchers - Akron Aeros
- Erie SeaWolves at Portland Sea Dogs - Game Notes - Erie SeaWolves
- Three Fireworks Shows Highlight Second-To-Last Curve Homestand - Altoona Curve
- Flying Squirrels Game Notes at Harrsiburg - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- Sea Dogs Game Notes August 3 vs. Erie - Portland Sea Dogs
- B-Mets Game Notes: at Reading Phillies - Binghamton Mets
- OF Adonis Garcia Promoted to Trenton - Trenton Thunder
- Fisher Cats Fall in 17 Innings - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- 'Wolves Win 17 Inning Marathon - Erie SeaWolves
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.