Barons Walk-Off With 4-3 Win Against GeneralsAugust 3, 2012 - Southern League (SL) Birmingham Barons
Jackson took a 1-0 lead in the first on a leadoff home run by Nate Tenbrink against Barons starter Nick McCully. McCully would surrender just three total hits over 4.0 innings while striking out six in a spot start. He departed after the fourth in favor of reliever Dan Remenowsky.
The Barons would come back to tie the game in the fifth. Justin Greene legged out a one-out triple into the right-center field gap and scored just under the catcher's tag on a fielder's choice groundout by Jake Oester.
The score remained knotted at 1-1 until the 11th when Chih-Hsien Chiang ripped a bases loaded single to right to give the Generals a 3-1 lead. The hit came against reliever Kyle Bellamy (1-2, 5.14) who looked to be in line for the loss before the team's heroics in the bottom half of the inning.
The Barons were unable to capitalize on a bases loaded situation with no-outs in the 10th but mounted a stunning rally in the 11th. A one out walk and a bloop base hit by Andy Wilkins set the table for Eric Morrison's RBI single to bring the Barons within a run at 3-2. After a walk to Oester and a pop out by Greene, Miguel Gonzalez stepped to the plate with the bases loaded and two out. Gonzalez had previously struck out with the bases loaded in the tenth but came through in the 11th, lining a base hit up the middle as Wilkins and Morrison came around to score the tying and winning runs respectively and setting up a mob scene on the infield. With the win the Barons improved to 49-60 and 19-21 in the second half while Jackson fell to 63-46 and 21-18 in the second half.
The Barons will for their second-straight series victory starting tomorrow night as they welcome the Mobile BayBears to Regions Park for a five-game series. In game one, RHP Andre Rienzo (4-1, 2.41) takes the hill against RHP Derek Eitel (7-8, 4.14). First pitch is scheduled for 7:05 PM CDT.
Southern League Stories from August 3, 2012
- BayBears Lead Early But Fall Late - Mobile BayBears
- Wahoos Open Series with 8-5 Win over Stars - Pensacola Blue Wahoos
- Stars Lose Opener With Blue Wahoos - Huntsville Stars
- Taylor Dominates Biscuits as Suns Win 2-0 - Jacksonville Suns
- Lookouts Beat M-Braves, 8-3 - Chattanooga Lookouts
- Lemmerman, Lookouts Take Down M-Braves, 8-3 - Mississippi Braves
- Biscuits Blanked by Suns in Opener - Montgomery Biscuits
- Generals-Smokies Postponed on Friday - Jackson Generals
- Smokies and Generals Postponed Due to Rain Friday - Tennessee Smokies
- Bramhall Placed On Disabled List - Jacksonville Suns
- Generals Game Notes - Jackson Generals
- Hunter Morris Named Topps Southern League Player of the Month for July - Huntsville Stars
- Inside the Blue Wahoos Airing Now - Pensacola Blue Wahoos
- Stars Host "Ducks on the Pond" Night with Wiley Outdoor Sports - Huntsville Stars
- Stars Pitchers Combine to No-Hit Lookouts - Huntsville Stars
- Generals Lose Heartbreaker to Barons in 11 Innings - Jackson Generals
- Barons Walk-Off With 4-3 Win Against Generals - Birmingham Barons
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.