Willmar Routs Rochester, 20-3August 1, 2012 - Northwoods League (Northwoods) Willmar Stingers
Willmar scored the first nine runs of the contest to take a commanding lead and continued to add to it throughout the game. The Stingers scored multiple runs in six of their eight innings at the plate, including a five-run sixth when Suchy (Florida Gulf Coast) singled up the middle to score Mitch Rowan (San Francisco) and Phil Pupillo (St. Louis) to give him 57 RBIs, surpassing Jordan Smith for the most in a single season in Stinger history (56, 2010).
In the fifth, Roberts (Alabama) hit a three-run homer to left field for his 14th of the season, which ranks fifth all-time in Northwoods League history. Roberts finished the game 4-for-5 with two runs and four RBIs.
Willmar scored its first runs of the game in the first on a two-run single by Dillon Haupt (San Diego) to drive home Forrestt Allday (Central Arkansas) and Rowan. Allday scored three times in the contest on a day where he went 2-for-3 at the plate to raise his batting average to a season-high .316. Rowan had a team-high four runs after going 3-for-5 with two RBIs.
Suchy tied Roberts with four RBIs on the evening with two different two-run singles. Suchy also scored twice and went 3-for-4. Corben Green (Louisiana Monroe), Hunter Dozier (Stephen F. Austin) and Max Kuhn (Kentucky) all had two-hit games and scored at least once. Green added two RBIs, while Kuhn had one.
Pupillo finished the game 2-for-2 with three RBIs and a run scored after entering in the sixth inning as a pinch-hitter, and Brady Anderson (Florida Gulf Coast) scored twice with two walks after also being a pinch-hitter in the sixth.
Tanner Banks (Utah) held Rochester to two runs on four hits in five innings to earn his first victory of the season. Mark Lukowski (Creighton), Andre Wheeler (Texas Tech) and Josh Biggs (Evansville) all pitched one inning of scoreless relief. Dozier allowed one run in the ninth in his second pitching appearance of the year.
Willmar holds a 2.5 game lead over the Duluth Huskies with 10 games remaining. The Stingers will begin a three-game series against the Huskies Thursday night at 7:05 p.m. It's Jersey Off Our Backs Night presented by Thrivent Financial. Fans will have an opportunity to bid on the players' jerseys worn during the game both at the ballpark and online.
The 2012 season is presented by Charter. For more information on your Willmar Stingers be sure to visit the West Central Tribune at www.wctrib.com.
Northwoods League Stories from August 1, 2012
- Beetles lose to Rox - Alexandria Beetles
- Willmar Routs Rochester, 20-3 - Willmar Stingers
- Rafters Roughed up by Express, 14-7 - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Mallards Survive Logger Rally to Win in Extras - Madison Mallards
- Roberts Dazzles in Relief, Bullfrogs Fall Below .500 - Green Bay Bullfrogs
- Honkers Pounded by Stingers 20-3 - Rochester Honkers
- Pettibone Dominates Bullfrogs as Chucks Win 7-1 - Wisconsin Woodchucks
- Harris, Chadwick Lead Chinooks Past Bombers for 5th Straight Win - Lakeshore Chinooks
- Bombers Break Minor League Record Today - Battle Creek Bombers
- Urgent Mallards Look to Salvage Win in Four Game Series - Madison Mallards
- Chinooks Shut Out BC Again - Battle Creek Bombers
- Bill Schroeder and Al Toon to Join MLB and Mallards Alumni Game - Madison Mallards
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.