ThunderBolts defeat Traverse CityAugust 1, 2012 - Frontier League (FL) Windy City ThunderBolts
The ThunderBolts started the game off well with three straight hits. Chad Cregar's single scored Mike Torres, but Windy City was halted at one run in the first.
Traverse City quickly answered with a run in the bottom of the first as Chase Burch picked up an RBI single.
Windy City reclaimed their lead in a three-run third. With the bases loaded and one out, Zach Aakhus's sacrifice fly scored Chris Wade. Brandon Decker brought home Cregar and Ryan Cuneo on a double to make it 4-1.
After Cuneo singled in the fifth, Aakhus's third home run of the year made it 6-1.
Tyson Corley pitched effectively through six innings but ran into trouble in the seventh. The Beach Bums loaded the bases with no outs and Kyle Eveland's two-run single chased Corley from the game. With Duke Dykeman pitching, Ryan Still's sacrifice fly made it 6-4 and Burch's two-out single scored Eveland to make it a one-run game.
Still 6-5 in the ninth, the ThunderBolts were one out from victory when again Burch came through. His double to center scored Still to send the game to extra innings for the second straight night.
After the Bolts left the winning run on base in the tenth, Cregar walked to lead off the 11th. After Bob Glover bunted him to second, Cuneo singled him home to grab a 7-6 lead. Jareck West's two-run single later in the inning put it away at 9-6.
Michael Click (1-1) earned the win, pitching 1.2 innings out of the bullpen and Scott Mueller (1-4) took the loss after the three-run 11th. Willy Kesler pitched a scoreless bottom of the inning for his second save.
The rubber match between the ThunderBolts and the Beach Bums will be played on Thursday night. Game three will feature Stephen Sauer (6-5, 3.41) for Windy City going against Traverse City's Kurt Wunderlich (First Start). The ballgame is slated to begin at 6:05 CDT at Wuerfel Park and can be heard on sportsjuice.com.
Frontier League Stories from August 1, 2012
- Washington Out-Slugs Rascals - River City Rascals
- ThunderBolts defeat Traverse City - Windy City ThunderBolts
- Big Inning Leads Warriors Past Grizzlies - Gateway Grizzlies
- Things Take Second Straight Series with 11-7 Win - Washington Wild Things
- Beach Bums Fall in Extra Inning Heartbreaker - Traverse City Beach Bums
- Evansville Comes Back for Season High Fourth Straight Win - Evansville Otters
- Calhoun Shuts out CornBelters - Southern Illinois Miners
- Otters Score Five in Seventh, Top Slammers 6-3 - Joliet Slammers
- Freedom's Late Rally Comes up Short - Florence Freedom
- CornBelters Whitewashed by Southern Illinois 3-0 - Normal CornBelters
- Boomers Hold off Florence - Schaumburg Boomers
- August 1 Joliet Slammers Game Notes - Joliet Slammers
- Freedom to Go Nuts About No-Peanuts - Florence Freedom
- Miners Trade Sandford and Collazo to Washington - Southern Illinois Miners
- Crushers score four in the ninth, beat Rockford, 5-4 - Lake Erie Crushers
- Hawks Lose Walkoff - Rockford RiverHawks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.