Knighthawks Name Powell Franchise PlayerAugust 1, 2012 - National Lacrosse League (NLL) Rochester Knighthawks
The World Champion Knighthawks acquired Casey Powell in the Dispersal Draft of Boston Blazers players last September. The native of West Carthage, NY enters his 10th season of pro lacrosse and third with the Knighthawks. In 119 games, he has 254 goals and 341 assists for 595 points. Powell was originally the first overall pick of the Knighthawks in the 1999 NLL Entry Draft.
He is a six-time All-Pro and became the first American to win the league's MVP award in 2010. The 36-year-old was named to the All-World Team at the 2011 FIL World Indoor Lacrosse Championships, as he led the Americans' offense with 16 goals and 15 assists in five games. In 2011, he led Major League Lacrosse in playoff points with eight (4+4), as he guided the Hamilton Nationals to the Championship Game.
Powell completed his collegiate career as one of Syracuse's best players of all time. Powell was a four-time All-American and a two-time National Player of the Year at Syracuse. He helped SU to the 1995 NCAA National Championship and was recognized as a four-time member of the NCAA All-Tournament team. The 1998 Division I Attackman of the Year amassed 287 points (158+129) for the Orange over four seasons (1994-98).
National Lacrosse League Stories from August 1, 2012
- Washington Stealth Signs Six Players as NLL Free Agency Opens - Washington Stealth
- Washington Stealth Re-Signs Two More Players for 2013 - Washington Stealth
- Stewart Wins on 'Home Track' Again - Rochester Knighthawks
- Knighthawks Name Powell Franchise Player - Rochester Knighthawks
- Stealth Lacrosse Academy Gives Local Athletes An Edge in NCAA Recruiting Process - Washington Stealth
- Mammoth Places Franchise Tags on Grant, Prout - Colorado Mammoth
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.