Rascals Split DoubleheaderJuly 29, 2012 - Frontier League (FL) River City Rascals
In game one, the Rascals (33-33) took a 1-0 lead in the first on a Jeremy Synan bases loaded sacrifice fly before Normal (22-43) tied it on a two-out single from former Rascal Ernie Banks.
The CornBelters took a 2-1 lead in the second and stretched it to 3-1 in the fifth before the Rascal offense got back on track in the sixth.
After striking out 12 times in the first five innings against Normal starter Tyler Stovall, the Rascals loaded the bases with one out before Doug Sanders rolled a single up the middle to close the deficit to 3-2. Normal closer Rich Mascheri entered after the single to face Patton, who drilled a pitch to right for a game-winning grand slam, the third by River City this season. Brandon Cunniff pitched a perfect ninth for this third save.
In game two, River City fell behind 1-0 in the first on another Banks RBI single and could muster just three hits off starter Brendon Smith (2-3) who walked four on the night. Preston Vancil was the tough luck loser for River City, throwing his second complete game in a 1-0 loss, the other coming at Windy City at the end of the first half.
With a game one win, the CornBelters take two-of-three from River City as the Rascals head home for an off-day Monday before beginning a three-game series against the Washington WildThings Tuesday night.
Frontier League Stories from July 29, 2012
- Vargas Sets Homerun Record as Beach Bums Split Doubleheader - Traverse City Beach Bums
- Rascals Split Doubleheader - River City Rascals
- 'Belters Split Doubleheader, Win Series - Normal CornBelters
- RiverHawks Hold on for 6-5 Win over Boomers - Rockford RiverHawks
- Rockford Stops Win Streak - Schaumburg Boomers
- Grizzlies Drop Middle Game of the Series to Miners - Gateway Grizzlies
- Miners Power Their Way Home - Southern Illinois Miners
- Wild Things Win Second Straight - Washington Wild Things
- Wild Things use three-run eighth to pull away from Crushers - Lake Erie Crushers
- Adam Champion One Hitter Guides Otters to Doubleheader Sweep - Evansville Otters
- Slammers Shut out at Home - Joliet Slammers
- Evansville Otters Win Opening Game of Doubleheader 6-5 - Evansville Otters
- July 29 Joliet Slammers Game Notes - Joliet Slammers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.