Kent Helps Salvage Win for T-BonesJuly 28, 2012 - American Association (AA) Kansas City T-Bones
With a 6-4 lead, T-Bones closer Mike Mehlich walked the first three batters in the top of the ninth inning, before surrendering an RBI single to Yasutsugu Nishimoto, which scored one run and left the bases loaded. Manager Kenny Hook brought in lefty Steve Kent, who struck out Keanan Simon on three pitches, and then got David Thomas to ground into a game-ending double play.
"I felt like the matchup was there for Kent and I trust him in that situation," Hook said. "He has closer type stuff and he's fresh. That's a huge job by him to come in and get that first out and then to get the double-play ball. That's a huge save for him."
Trailing 3-1 heading into the bottom of the fifth, the T-Bones took the lead with a five-run inning. The scoring started with a Lee Cruz's RBI double that scored Brandon Jones. Trevor Coleman, who was two for four, drove in his second run of the night on a single that tied the game. Devin Goodwin singled home a run that gave the T-Bones their first lead of the night.
After giving up three runs in the first two innings, starter Devin Anderson settled in, as he allowed only one more run on a Simon RBI single in the seventh. Anderson finished the night with five strikeouts in 6 2/3 innings.
Kansas City (37-31) looks for the three-game series sweep against Grand Prairie (40-26) on Sunday night. First pitch at CommunityAmerica Ballpark is scheduled for 5:05. To purchase tickets, call 913-328-5618.
American Association Stories from July 28, 2012
- Lemurs Lose a Close One - Laredo Lemurs
- Kent Helps Salvage Win for T-Bones - Kansas City T-Bones
- Kent Slams Door on AirHogs' Rally in Ninth - Grand Prairie AirHogs
- Chirinos Dazzles In Debut As Diablos Take Fourth Straight Series - El Paso Diablos
- Saltdogs snap six-game losing streak - Sioux City Explorers
- Pheasants Rally Big to Beat Winnipeg - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Saints' Pitching Baffles Les Capitales in 6-2 Win - St. Paul Saints
- One Comeback Bid Not Enough - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Debuting 'Dogs Impress in Crisp Series Equalizer - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Fargo Defeats RailCats 9-2 to Take Series - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Saints Will Have Two Carr's to Choose From, Sign Pitcher Nick Carr - St. Paul Saints
- Aizenstadt Purchased by Phillies - Wichita Wingnuts
- RailCats Acquire Shah, Rolon from Lincoln - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Dogs Trade for Lock-Down Reliever, Slugging Rookie OF - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Diablos Rally Again In Ninth, Walk Off In 12th - El Paso Diablos
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.