Slammers Bounce Back against ThunderBolts in Series OpenerJuly 28, 2012 - Frontier League (FL) Joliet Slammers
Joliet pounced for three runs in the first inning and never surrendered the lead. Patrick Norris laced a leadoff single, his first of three hits, and came home afterward on an RBI double by Brad Netzel. Two more scored in the inning on a throwing error by Windy City third baseman C.J. Gillman, giving Joliet a three-run lead.
The Slammers added another run in the second when Norris doubled to score Josh Lyon, and made it 5-0 when David Christensen lofted a sacrifice fly in the third.
Windy City closed the gap in the seventh inning off run-scoring singles by Zach Aahkus and Brandon Decker, and the game stayed 5-3 after the seventh-inning stretch.
Jim Schult was phenomenal for Joliet in the start and earned the win. He set down the first six Bolts hitters in order, allowed one single in the third, and then retired 11 straight before finally allowing more baserunners in the seventh. He fanned six, and Joliet pitching did not allow a single walk in the ballgame.
The Slammers keep the rivalry series rolling Sunday afternoon in a 2:05 matinee with the ThunderBolts. The first 1000 fans in the gates receive a limited-edition team baseball card set. Fans can listen to the game on AM 1340 WJOL with Aaron Morse and Greg Talbott calling the action.
Frontier League Stories from July 28, 2012
- Grizzlies Win Again; Defeat Miners in Marion - Gateway Grizzlies
- Miners Drop One to Gateway - Southern Illinois Miners
- Miners Acquire Gerardo Avila - Southern Illinois Miners
- Crushers leave tying run on in ninth, fall 5-4 - Lake Erie Crushers
- Rascals Held to Four Hits in 3-2 Loss at Normal - River City Rascals
- Freedom Slug 20 Hits in Mathes' Shutout of Otters - Florence Freedom
- Liedka, 'Belters Shut Down Rascals in Game 1 Win - Normal CornBelters
- Blunders Cost RiverHawks in 3-1 Defeat - Rockford RiverHawks
- Wild Things Defeat Lake Erie 5-4 - Washington Wild Things
- Win Streak Reaches Five with Comeback Win - Schaumburg Boomers
- Slammers Bounce Back against ThunderBolts in Series Opener - Joliet Slammers
- Wild Things Top Crushers 5-4 - Washington Wild Things
- Otters Lose Series Opener at Florence - Evansville Otters
- July 28 Joliet Slammers Game Notes - Joliet Slammers
- Freedom Sweep Doublheader against Wild Things - Florence Freedom
- Miners Split Doubleheader - Southern Illinois Miners
- Evansville and Southern Illinois Split Doubleheader - Evansville Otters
- Grizzlies Drop Series Finale to Rascals - Gateway Grizzlies
- Rascals Fight off Grizzlies; Win 8-5 - River City Rascals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.