Captains Escape with One Run WinJuly 28, 2012 - Midwest League (MWL) Lake County Captains
Lake County scored first in the ballgame. Jose Ramirez singled to begin the game for Lake County. Luigi Rodriguez singled Ramirez to second base. Jordan Smith then hit a single to left field and Ramirez scored and the Captains led the game 1-0. Lake County made it a 2-0 game in the third inning when Luigi Rodriguez walked and scored on a two out double by Bryson Myles.
Dayton got on the board in the top of the fifth inning. On the first pitch of the inning, Sean Buckley pounded his ninth homerun of the season to deep left field and the score was 6-1 Lake County after five complete innings. Dayton scored their second run in the ballgame in the eighth inning when Kyle Waldrop walked and eventually scored on a single by Nick O'Shea and it was a 6-2 ballgame.
In the ninth inning, Sean Buckley hit his second homer of the ballgame. The two run shot pulled the score to a 6-4 game and then Kyle Waldrop hit his seventh of the season and the score was 6-5. Francisco Valera was taken out of the ballgame and Jeff Johnson entered the ballgame and threw one pitch to Spencer Dickinson who flew out to center field. Johnson was credited with his 14th save of the season.
RHP Cody Anderson (4-5) started the game for the Captains and did not get a decision. Anderson pitched three innings, and was perfect in those frames. Anderson retired all nine batters that he faced. Nick Pasquale pitched two innings allowing one hit, one earned run he struck out one and allowed one homerun. Enosil Tejeda (2-1) got the win. He pitched two innings, and walked omne while fanning two. Francisco Valera pitched one and two thirds innings, he allowed four hits, four earned runs, two walks and two homeruns. Jeff Johnson threw one pitch and retired the final out of the game to earn his 14th save of the season.
RHP Wes Mugarian (0-3) got the start and took the loss for Dayton. Mugarian pitched three and two thirds innings, allowing seven hits, allowing six runs, three were earned. Mugarian walked four and struck out four. Dan Jensen pitched two and one third innings, and allowed one hit two walks and three strikeouts. Lucas O'Rear pitched the final two innings for Dayton and surrendered two hits.
Sunday is a 1 PM start and it is Family Fun Day, which includes a pre-game player autograph session, in-stadium entertainment and activities, an enhanced Kids' Zone area with new inflatables including a new speed pitch and the opportunity for kids to run the bases after the game. Lake County will send LHP Shawn Morimando (4-3, 3.51) to the mound to start against Stalin Gerson (5-7, 4.27) from Dayton.
Full season tickets plans, 7-, 12-, 20-, and 35-game mini ticket plans for the 2012 season are on sale now at great prices complete with several exclusive benefits. Information can be found at the Captains website www.captainsbaseball.com.
The Lake County Captains are a Class A affiliate of the Cleveland Indians and play their home games at Classic Park in Eastlake, at the corners of State Route 91 and Vine Street. For more information on the Captains, please visit the team's official website at www.CaptainsBaseball.com.
Midwest League Stories from July 28, 2012
- Errant Throw Gives Fort Wayne Win - Great Lakes Loons
- Chiefs Lose 10-4 Saturday - Peoria Chiefs
- Hot Rods Solve Whitecaps on Saturday Night - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Nine Hits But Not Enough Runs - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Taylor Provides Another Walk-Off Winner for Clinton - Clinton LumberKings
- TinCaps Win on Great Lakes' Late Miscue - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Bees Pop Kernels, 6-1 - Burlington Bees
- Cougars Roar Back for Win - Kane County Cougars
- Gallego Tallies Four Hits in Hawks Loss - South Bend Silver Hawks
- River Bandits Lose Fourth Straight on Another Walk-Off - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Streaking LumberKings top Rattlers on a walkoff single - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Hobson Drives Lugnuts To 9-5 Win - Lansing Lugnuts
- Captains Escape with One Run Win - Lake County Captains
- Dragons Battle Back But Fall 6-5 at Lake County - Dayton Dragons
- Burlington Bees Make Roster Moves - Burlington Bees
- Timber Rattlers Homestand Highlights for July 31-August 3 - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Great Lakes Drops Series in Loss - Great Lakes Loons
- Baez's blast downs Kernels, 3-2 - Cedar Rapids Kernels
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.