Hiscock, 'Cats Take Series in 5-2 WinJuly 27, 2012 - American Association (AA) Gary SouthShore Railcats
RailCats starter Stephen Hiscock (3-4) held the X's to a run on four hits in 6 2/3 innings. It was his team-leading seventh quality outing of the season.
Trailing 1-0, Mike Massaro led off the third for the 'Cats with an infield hit and moved to second on a throwing error. Mike Coles hit a grounder up the middle to score Massaro and hustled into second with a double. Brian Kolb drove him home with a single into right to give the RailCats a 2-1 lead. Kolb advanced to third when right fielder Peter Barrows overran the ball for an error. Kolb would score on a wild pitch by Explorers starter Nick Schumacher. Zac Mitchell capped the inning with an RBI single as the RailCats took a 4-1 lead. They had five hits and the Explorers made three errors in the frame.
Mitchell hit another run-scoring single in the seventh to make it 5-1. The rookie was 3-for-4 with two RBI in his RailCats debut.
Kris Sanchez led off the second inning with a home run to right, his 13th of the season, to put Sioux City ahead 1-0 against Hiscock. In the ninth, the X's scored another run after Yusuke Inoguchi led off with a double and then came around to score on Ryan Priddy's double play. With the tying run at the plate and two out, Chris Allen struck out Wally Backman Jr. to end the game.
Schumacher (5-4) gave up four runs on 10 hits in six innings for the loss.
The RailCats start a three-game series against Fargo-Moorhead on Friday night. It's Millionaire Night at U. S. Steel Yard. The first 1,000 fans will receive envelopes stuffed with cash and the first 1,000 fans 18 and older will also receive a scratch-off ticket from Hoosier Lottery. There will be $2,000 total given away. A fireworks show will follow the conclusion of the game.
American Association Stories from July 27, 2012
- Lemurs Win Fifth Straight - Laredo Lemurs
- Explorers shut out Lincoln 1-0 - Sioux City Explorers
- Suicide Squeeze Snaps Goldeyes' Skid - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Gold Medal Worthy Performance by Saints with 4-3 Walk-Off Win in 11 - St. Paul Saints
- Winnipeg Squeezes Past Pheasants - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Lemurs Win Tight Game over Wingnuts - Wichita Wingnuts
- T-Bones Rally for Six Early and Beat Grand Prairie - Kansas City T-Bones
- RedHawks Rout 'Cats in Opener - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Big Inning Costs AirHogs Yet Again - Grand Prairie AirHogs
- Salazar Outguns Mackey in Tremendous Pitcher's Duel - Lincoln Saltdogs
- July 27-Aug 2 Promotions Announced - El Paso Diablos
- Saints Outfielder, Former Major Leaguer, Shane Costa Retires - St. Paul Saints
- Fans to Vote for Top Skipper in Team History - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Sox prepare for big week of games, including Inflatamaniacs - Amarillo Sox
- Gary SouthShore defeats Explorers 5-2 - Sioux City Explorers
- Hiscock, 'Cats Take Series in 5-2 Win - Gary SouthShore Railcats
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.