Legends Edge Greenville 7-5 as Foltynewicz Becomes Career Wins LeaderJuly 21, 2012 - South Atlantic League (SAL) Lexington Legends
Foltynewicz, who was 5-11 for the 2011 Legends, pitched the first six innings Saturday night and allowed four runs on six hits. He got all the support he needed when the Legends erupted for five extra-base hits and five runs in the second inning. Matt Duffy led off with a double, and with two outs, back-to-back triples by Nolan Fontana and Justin Gominsky produced the game's first two runs. Jordan Scott's single scored Gominsky from third to give the Legends a 3-0 lead. Delino DeShields Jr., who had three hits in the game, followed with a double, moving Scott to third, and Ruben Sosa hit the third triple of the inning, scoring Scott and DeShields to make the score 5-0.
Greenville answered with three runs in the third inning. Jordan Weems drew a walk and advanced to second when Foltynewicz threw past first for an error on a pickoff attempt. Weems moved to third on a wild pitch and scored on an infield hit by Jose Vinicio. Bryan Johns walked, moving Vinicio to second base, from where he scored on a single by Keury De La Cruz. Johns, who went to third on De La Cruz' hit, scored on a ground out by David Renfroe to cut the lead to two at 5-3.
The Drive made it 5-4 in the bottom of the fourth on a triple by Blake Swihart and a ground out by Weems.
The Legends added a run in the seventh on a double by Gominsky, a single by Scott and an RBI single by DeShields. Brandon Meredith's solo homer in the eighth gave Lexington its final run.
Greenville scored a run in the ninth on Garin Cecchini's RBI ground out and had the tying run at the plate when reliever Murilo Gouvea struck out Renfroe to end the game.
Attendance 5, 923
South Atlantic League Stories from July 21, 2012
- Foltynewicz Becomes Career Wins Leader, Breaking Nannini's Mark - Lexington Legends
- Legends Edge Greenville 7-5 as Foltynewicz Becomes Career Wins Leader - Lexington Legends
- Suns Sink GreenJackets 5-4 in Extras Schroder's Spark Not Enough in Setback - Augusta GreenJackets
- Drive Can't Overcome Second Inning - Greenville Drive
- Suns Walk-Off against August to Snap Losing Streak - Hagerstown Suns
- RiverDogs Ride Five-Run 6th Inning Past Intimidators - Kannapolis Intimidators
- Stevenson, Bichette Lead Offense in 8-5 Win - Charleston RiverDogs
- Legends Top Greenville 7-5; Foltynewicz Becomes Career Wins Leader - Lexington Legends
- Power split DH - West Virginia Power
- Lawley Leads Gnats Past Braves 7-0 Saturday - Savannah Sand Gnats
- Bridwell Spins Complete Game in 4-1 Win - Delmarva Shorebirds
- BlueClaws and Crawdads Rained out on Saturday - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Saturday's Game and Concert Postponed Due to Rain - Hickory Crawdads
- Miller Placed on DL - Rome Braves
- Power Game Notes - West Virginia Power
- Shorebirds Game Notes: at West Virginia - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Johnson Promoted to Dash; Former Razorbacks, Trojans QB Mustain Joining Intimidators - Kannapolis Intimidators
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.