Shorebirds Game Notes: at West VirginiaJuly 21, 2012 - South Atlantic League (SAL) Delmarva Shorebirds
July 21, 2012 | Charleston, WV | Appalachian Power Park | 6:05PM
STAT OF THE DAY: Wynston Sawyer is batting .329 in the second half after hitting just .169 in the first half of the season. In 18 fewer games in the second half, he has more doubles (6 to 5), more hits (26 to 22) and more home runs (1 to 0).
PREVIEW: The Shorebirds took game one last night 3-2 and are trailing 7-1 in the bottom of the third in game two, which was suspended due to inclement weather. The game will be resumed at 6:05pm today. After the completion of the suspended game, the teams will play a seven inning game. In game one last night, Jerome Pena and Sammie Starr hit home runs to key the Shorebirds win. Miguel Chalas and Zach Petersime combined to do the job on the mound.
WIN #9 FOR CHALAS: Miguel Chalas now ranks second in the Orioles minor league (Zach Clark of Bowie with 10) system and fifth in the South Atlantic League with nine wins. The last time the Shorebirds had a ten-game winner was in 2008 when Zach Britton (12), Sean Gleason (12) and Luis Noel (10) all won at least ten games.
THREE STRAIGHT WINS: The Shorebirds have won three games in a row for the first time since a five game win streak between June 5 and June 9.
DAVIS PLAYING WELL: Glynn Davis has hit safely in five straight games (already has a hit in the suspended game). Davis, who went 2-for-4 in game one yesterday, has five multi-hit games in the last seven games. He is now batting .260, the highest his batting average has been in the second half (was hitting .263 on July 17).
PENA'S FIVE GAMES: In Jerome Pena's five games with the Shorebirds, he has seven RBIs, five hits and a home run. He has also scored six runs. The Shorebirds have won four of the five games that he has played.
MULTIPLE HOMERS: The last time the Shorebirds hit multiple home runs in a game before last night was July 8, when Brenden Webb hit two against Hickory. The Shorebirds have three multi-home run games in July.
South Atlantic League Stories from July 21, 2012
- Foltynewicz Becomes Career Wins Leader, Breaking Nannini's Mark - Lexington Legends
- Legends Edge Greenville 7-5 as Foltynewicz Becomes Career Wins Leader - Lexington Legends
- Suns Sink GreenJackets 5-4 in Extras Schroder's Spark Not Enough in Setback - Augusta GreenJackets
- Drive Can't Overcome Second Inning - Greenville Drive
- Suns Walk-Off against August to Snap Losing Streak - Hagerstown Suns
- RiverDogs Ride Five-Run 6th Inning Past Intimidators - Kannapolis Intimidators
- Stevenson, Bichette Lead Offense in 8-5 Win - Charleston RiverDogs
- Legends Top Greenville 7-5; Foltynewicz Becomes Career Wins Leader - Lexington Legends
- Power split DH - West Virginia Power
- Lawley Leads Gnats Past Braves 7-0 Saturday - Savannah Sand Gnats
- Bridwell Spins Complete Game in 4-1 Win - Delmarva Shorebirds
- BlueClaws and Crawdads Rained out on Saturday - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Saturday's Game and Concert Postponed Due to Rain - Hickory Crawdads
- Miller Placed on DL - Rome Braves
- Power Game Notes - West Virginia Power
- Shorebirds Game Notes: at West Virginia - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Johnson Promoted to Dash; Former Razorbacks, Trojans QB Mustain Joining Intimidators - Kannapolis Intimidators
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.