Homestand Starts with 5-3 Loss to AquaSoxJuly 20, 2012 - Northwest League (NWL) Yakima Bears
The Bears got the scoring started in the second inning when the bases were loaded with no outs and two runs scored as a result of a Josh Parr sacrifice fly and wild pitch. Two unearned runs tied the game in the third inning and another unearned run in the fourth inning put the AquaSox on top 3-2. The Bears loaded the bases in the bottom of the fourth and tied the game thanks to a Parr walk. The AquaSox scored the go-ahead runs in the seventh inning off of reliever Blake Forslund.
Forlsund took the loss for the second-straight appearance, as he allowed the pair of earned runs in one inning of work. Chris Thomas tossed one shutout inning and Enrique Burgos was dominant in two scoreless innings to finish the game. Bears starting pitcher Daniel Watts gave up three unearned runs on eight hits and two walks in five innings.
The Bears were outhit 12-9, with all of Yakima's hits being singles for the second-straight night. Shaun Cooper went 2-for-4 and Joe Loftus went 2-for-3 with a walk and two runs scored. Parr finished 1-for-2 with a walk and two RBIs. Kevin Medrano extended his hitting streak to 13-straight games with a third inning single.
Game two of the series is scheduled for 7:05 Friday at Yakima County Stadium. Left-handed pitcher Cody Wheeler is the probable starter for the Bears, while right-handed pitcher Dylan Unsworth is expected to go for the AquaSox.
Northwest League Stories from July 20, 2012
- Bears lose again in series on unearned run - Yakima Bears
- Eugene Emeralds defeat Boise - Boise Hawks
- Tago Carries Tri-City to Victory - Tri-City Dust Devils
- Canadians Dodge Rain To Shutout Spokane On Friday - Vancouver Canadians
- Vote for the Dust Devils' Players of the Month - Tri-City Dust Devils
- D-backs Make Former Bears First Baseman Wheeler a Big Leaguer - Yakima Bears
- Vancouver improves to 5-1 vs. Spokane with series opening victory on Thursday - Vancouver Canadians
- Homestand Starts with 5-3 Loss to AquaSox - Yakima Bears
- De Leon, Dust Devils Slam Volcanoes - Tri-City Dust Devils
- Emeralds grab Game 1 - Boise Hawks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.