De Leon, Dust Devils Slam VolcanoesJuly 20, 2012 - Northwest League (NWL) Tri-City Dust Devils
Early scoring was a theme throughout the first innings of the game, the first of five matchups between the Dust Devils (15-19) and Volcanoes (12-22) at Gesa Stadium this season. Tri-City starting pitcher Ben Hughes (2-3) allowed a run in the second and three more in the third, before settling down and ending his appearance with two shutout innings. Hughes finished the night allowing four runs, one of which earned, on seven hits over five innings on his way to his second win of the season. Relievers Chris Dennis and Ryan Arrowood combined to throw three shutout innings of relief and lefty Brook Hart (Sv, 3) pitched the ninth and earned his third save of the season
The Dust Devils offense backed up their pitching staff on a warm, stormy night in the mid-Columbia, scoring seven runs on ten hits. Four of those runs came off of the bat of De Leon in the fifth inning, when the first baseman hammered a two-out grand slam to left field to put the Dust Devils up 6-4. Dust Devils shortstop Rosell Herrera, third baseman Patrick Hutcheson, and outfielder Francisco Sosa also chipped in, getting two hits apiece.
Salem-Keizer starting pitcher Kendry Flores (1-3) started the game well, allowing one run through the first four innings. But the fifth inning did him in, and he allowed five runs in the inning alone as he finished the night allowing six runs over 4 2/3 innings on the mound.
Game two of five between the Dust Devils and Volcanoes is Friday night at Gesa Stadium as Tri-City looks for their second consecutive win. It will be another $1 Family Feast Night at the ballpark, with all hot dogs, popcorn, ice cream sandwiches and 12-ounce Coke products on sale for just one dollar all game long thanks to Lamb Weston. The first 500 fans in attendance at Friday's game will also receive an Erik the Peanut Guy bobblehead courtesy of Gesa Credit Union. Right-hander Peter Tago is scheduled to get the start for the Dust Devils on the mound with righty Chris Stratton starting for the Volcanoes. Gates open at 6:15 p.m. with first pitch at 7:15 p.m.
Northwest League Stories from July 20, 2012
- Bears lose again in series on unearned run - Yakima Bears
- Eugene Emeralds defeat Boise - Boise Hawks
- Tago Carries Tri-City to Victory - Tri-City Dust Devils
- Canadians Dodge Rain To Shutout Spokane On Friday - Vancouver Canadians
- Vote for the Dust Devils' Players of the Month - Tri-City Dust Devils
- D-backs Make Former Bears First Baseman Wheeler a Big Leaguer - Yakima Bears
- Vancouver improves to 5-1 vs. Spokane with series opening victory on Thursday - Vancouver Canadians
- Homestand Starts with 5-3 Loss to AquaSox - Yakima Bears
- De Leon, Dust Devils Slam Volcanoes - Tri-City Dust Devils
- Emeralds grab Game 1 - Boise Hawks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.