Smokies Fall in Series Opener at ChattanoogaJuly 19, 2012 - Southern League (SL) Tennessee Smokies
The Lookouts (16-11, 48-47) opened the scoring in the bottom of the second when Travis Denker lifted a solo home run. Later in the frame, Chattanooga starter Aaron Miller helped his own cause, lacing a two-run double to left to give the Lookouts a 3-0 edge.
Held to just one hit over the first three frames, the Smokies broke through in the top of the fourth. After Jae-Hoon Ha led off with a single and Justin Bour doubled off the right field wall, Juan Apodaca lined a two-run double to center to cut the Tennessee deficit to 3-2. A pair of walks loaded the bases and forced Miller from the contest, but reliever Javier Solano induced an inning-ending pop out by Junior Lake to end the threat.
Jokisch gave way to Casey Weathers in the bottom of the sixth, and, after quickly retiring the leadoff batter, the reliever proceeded to walk three consecutive batters to load the bases. A Jake Lemmerman RBI ground out extended the Lookouts lead to 4-2. Weathers walked the next batter and was lifted from the contest after throwing just seven of his 25 pitches for strikes. Kevin Rhoderick entered and struck out Rafael Ynoa to strand the bases loaded.
The Smokies would get the run back in the top of the seventh. With two on and no outs, Logan Watkins singled home Nate Samson to make it a 4-3 game. The Smokies proceeded to place runners on the corners with one out, but reliever Luis Vasquez entered and struck out back-to-back batters to stymie the Tennessee rally.
In the top of the ninth, Chattanooga closer Steve Ames retired the side in order on just eight pitches to notch his 11th save of the season.
Solano (3-0) worked 2.1 hitless, scoreless innings in relief to earn the win after Miller surrendered two runs on three hits over 3.2 innings, walking four batters. Tennessee starter Eric Jokisch (5-2) suffered the loss, working five innings and yielding three runs on six hits. The Smokies were undefeated (8-0) in Jokisch's first eight starts of the season prior to Thursday night.
The Smokies and Lookouts continue their four-game series on Friday night at 7:15 p.m. when Tennessee sends right-hander Dae-Eun Rhee (6-4, 5.21 ERA) to the mound against Chattanooga southpaw Chris Reed (0-1, 3.57 ERA) at AT&T Field.
Southern League Stories from July 19, 2012
- Huntsville Takes Opener, Snaps Generals' Win Streak - Jackson Generals
- Barons' Bats Falter In Loss To Biscuits - Birmingham Barons
- Smokies Fall in Series Opener at Chattanooga - Tennessee Smokies
- Stars Win Series Opener With Generals - Huntsville Stars
- Lookouts Edge Smokies, 4-3 - Chattanooga Lookouts
- BayBears Spotlight a Special Saturday at "The Hank" - Mobile BayBears
- Southern League Names Lori Webb President - SL
- Rhinehart Back To Louisville, Ravin Activated - Pensacola Blue Wahoos
- Generals Game Notes - Jackson Generals
- Sena Heads Back to Tacoma, Kittredge Returns to Jackson - Jackson Generals
- M-Braves Homestand Highlights July 24-28 - Mississippi Braves
- Ian Gac Restricted; Jaime Pedroza to Mississippi - Mississippi Braves
- Squires Transferred To Jupiter; Pertusati Transferred To Jacksonville - Jacksonville Suns
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.