Medina's Doubles Drop 'DogsJuly 19, 2012 - South Atlantic League (SAL) Kannapolis Intimidators
Jeff Soptic (2-1) struck out a career-high four batters over two scoreless innings of relief to earn the win, his first since his season debut in May. Charleston's Phil Wetherell (4-3), making his first career start, last just 2 and 1/3 innings, allowing four runs on five hits in a losing effort. Dustin Umberger entered the game facing the tying run in the seventh inning and worked a seven-out save (2).
Trailing 1-0 in the bottom of the second, Kannapolis put together a two-out rally beginning when Bill Rice walked and stole second base. Medina doubled off the right field wall to bring home Rice to tie the game and extend his hitting streak to 19 games. Garis Pena followed with an RBI single, and Adam Heisler tripled to center field for a 3-1 Intimidators lead.
After the RiverDogs got a run back on a Ben Gamel sac-fly in the top of the third, the Intimidators retaliated with three runs in the home half of the inning. Chris Curley led off with an infield single, and Charleston starter Phil Wetherell walked Leighton Pangilinan before being lifted from the game. Will Oliver walked Grant Buckner to load the bases for Rice, who singled to right field to score Curley, but Pangilinan was thrown out at the plate by RiverDogs right fielder Rob Refsnyder. Medina added a two-run double for a 6-2 lead.
Kevan Smith doubled to center field in the fourth inning to score Curley from first for a 7-2 lead. Intimidators starter Scott Snodgress left the game after three innings of work, allowing two runs on four hits with three walks.
Reliever Jarrett Casey entered the game in the sixth inning and retired the first five batters he faced before giving up three straight doubles and walking a batter to end his night. Umberger came in with two on and two out with the tying run at the plate in the seventh and struck out Dante Bichette Jr. to get out of the inning. He retired seven of eight batters faced and struck out five to secure the Intimidators win.
The Intimidators continue this series against Charleston on Friday at CMC-NorthEast Stadium as Kannapolis sends LHP Matt Lane to the mound against RHP Scottie Allie at 7:05 p.m. The team will shoot off post- game fireworks on Saturday, July 21. For ticket information, call the box office at (704) 932-3267 or visit www.IntimidatorsBaseball.com.
South Atlantic League Stories from July 19, 2012
- Intimidators Ride Fast Start to 7-4 Win - Charleston RiverDogs
- Barnes, Smith Blast Grasshoppers Past Tourists 6-5 - Asheville Tourists
- Braves Tip Gnats 2-1 Thursday - Savannah Sand Gnats
- 'Dads Power Past BlueClaws, 5-1 - Hickory Crawdads
- Medina's Doubles Drop 'Dogs - Kannapolis Intimidators
- 'Claws Drop First of Four at Hickory, 5-1 - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Suns and GreenJackets Washed Out - Hagerstown Suns
- Tonight's Game Postponed - Augusta GreenJackets
- Power Postponed - West Virginia Power
- Shorebirds Game Postponed Due to Inclement Weather - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Dog Days of Summer Continue with Seven at the Joe - Charleston RiverDogs
- Power Game Notes - West Virginia Power
- Shorebirds Game Notes - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Weber Sent to Lynchburg - Rome Braves
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.