Shorebirds Game NotesJuly 19, 2012 - South Atlantic League (SAL) Delmarva Shorebirds
July 19, 2012 | Charleston, WV | Appalachian Power Park | 7:05 PM
Radio: ESPN Radio 960 | www.960thesportsanimal.com
STAT OF THE DAY: The Shorebirds have scored 20 runs in the first three innings of the last two games. They have scored 11 runs in the third innings of the last two games. A total of 20 of their 26 hits in the last two games came in the first three innings.
PREVIEW: The Delmarva Shorebirds open an eight game road trip with game one against the West Virginia Power. The Shorebirds are coming off their second series win of the second half over first place Hickory (three games to one). With 44 games left in the season, the Shorebirds are 5.5 games out of first place. The last time the Shorebirds won three games in a row was during a five game win streak from June 5-9.
MOST RUNS IN SINGLE SERIES: The Shorebirds scored 33 runs in their most recent four game series against Hickory, a season high for a single series. Their previous high was 32, during a five-game series against West Virginia (June 29-July 3). The Shorebirds recorded 38 hits in the series against the Crawdads (26 coming in the last two games).
GREAT STARTING PITCHING: The Shorebirds got back-to-back great starts from Zach Davies (6 IP, 3 H, 1 R) and Eduardo Rodriguez (5 IP, 3 H, 0 ER). Over a combined 11 innings, they allowed just six hits and one earned run.
JEROME PENA EFFECT: Since second baseman Jerome Pena was added to the club on 7/14, the Shorebirds are 3-1. He has reached in all four games played and has four hits and six RBIs. In innings that Pena has reached (walk, hit, error, etc.), the Shorebirds have scored 19 runs.
DAVIS HEATING UP, AGAIN: Glynn Davis has hit safely in three straight games and ten of his last eleven. He has five multi-hit games during the stretch. His .257 average is the highest it has been since June 21 (.257). Through 15 games in July, he is hitting .288 (17-for-59). Davis batted just .200 in the month of June.
5-GAMER FOR WEBB: Brenden Webb has hit safely in a season long five straight games (6-for-19, .315). Webb has also increased his RBI production with four in the last five games.
South Atlantic League Stories from July 19, 2012
- Intimidators Ride Fast Start to 7-4 Win - Charleston RiverDogs
- Barnes, Smith Blast Grasshoppers Past Tourists 6-5 - Asheville Tourists
- Braves Tip Gnats 2-1 Thursday - Savannah Sand Gnats
- 'Dads Power Past BlueClaws, 5-1 - Hickory Crawdads
- Medina's Doubles Drop 'Dogs - Kannapolis Intimidators
- 'Claws Drop First of Four at Hickory, 5-1 - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Suns and GreenJackets Washed Out - Hagerstown Suns
- Tonight's Game Postponed - Augusta GreenJackets
- Power Postponed - West Virginia Power
- Shorebirds Game Postponed Due to Inclement Weather - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Dog Days of Summer Continue with Seven at the Joe - Charleston RiverDogs
- Power Game Notes - West Virginia Power
- Shorebirds Game Notes - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Weber Sent to Lynchburg - Rome Braves
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.