MLS W.O.R.K.S. Gives Back to the Chester CommunityJuly 18, 2012 - Major League Soccer (MLS)
On July 24, Major League Soccer will join the Philadelphia Union, AT&T, Chester Upland School District and organizers from KABOOM! to construct a new playground and small-sided field at Science and Discovery High School. The AT&T Community Field and new playground will provide more than 500 children in the Chester community with a safe place to play, and will increase awareness and provide additional opportunities for local youth to play soccer.
Over 200 volunteers will help construct the playground while Philadelphia Union Academy coaches lead drills and small-sided games for approximately 100 local children as part of the AT&T Youth Clinic. MLS All-Stars and Philadelphia Union players will join the day's festivities, taking part in youth activities, the construction of the playground and the ribbon-cutting ceremony with MLS and Philadelphia Union executives and members of Chester Upland School District. Former MLS All-Star Alexi Lalas will also volunteer his time to participate in youth activities.
The day of service - a partnership between MLS W.O.R.K.S., the Philadelphia Union Foundation and AT&T - is part of the League's community service program, Unite. Volunteer. Serve., a collaborative effort to combine sport and service, promote good will and improve lives and communities at the grassroots level.
On Wednesday, July 25, MLS W.O.R.K.S. and the Philadelphia Union will team up with Starlight Children's Foundation for a hospital visit and placement of a Starlight Fun Center(tm) mobile entertainment unit at Crozer-Chester Medical Center in Upland, Pa. Part of the MLS W.O.R.K.S. Soccer Kicks Cancer program, the visit will provide an opportunity for seriously ill children and their families to enjoy a unique experience and a renewed sense of strength and hope. Union players will visit with patients, play games and participate in other activities prior to the dedication ceremony. In addition to the Fun Center, MLS will also provide tickets to the 2012 AT&T MLS All-Star Game to Starlight families. The 2012 AT&T MLS All-Star Game, featuring the MLS All-Stars against Chelsea FC, will be played on Wednesday, July 25 at 8:30 p.m. ET at PPL Park in Chester, Pa.
During halftime of the 2012 AT&T MLS All-Star Game, MLS W.O.R.K.S. will announce the 2012 Community MVP Grand Prize winner. Fans across the League had the opportunity to nominate individuals who are committed to improving their communities. Nineteen winners were selected, representing each MLS market, and competed in a two-week online contest. The Grand Prize winner will receive a $10,000 donation to the charity of their choice and a trip to the 2012 AT&T MLS All-Star Game at PPL Park, which includes roundtrip airfare, two nights' accommodation, an award from Tiffany & Co. and official MLS merchandise as part of the prize package. Click here to view the final list of 2012 Community MVPs.
In addition, MLS W.O.R.K.S. and Continental Tire will recognize the winner of the "How Green Are Your Goals - contest, created to engage MLS fans in environmentally friendly efforts leading up to Earth Day. Fans were encouraged to visit the Greener Goals website and share stories of how they incorporate green efforts into their everyday lives. Portland, the MLS market with the greenest MLS fans, has won a Solar 4R Schools Renewable School package valued at $50,000 for a deserving school in their city for Earth Day 2013. The prize includes a solar panel installation and a renewable energy education package for teachers. As the Grand Prize winner, Timbers' fan Jeffrey Briley won a trip to the 2012 AT&T MLS All-Star Game and a set of tires, courtesy of Continental Tire.
Major League Soccer Stories from July 18, 2012
- Dynamo Tops Sporting Kansas City 2-1 - Houston Dynamo
- Sporting KC Road Trip Ends with 2-1 Defeat at Houston Dynamo - Sporting Kansas City
- Chivas USA President and Co-Owner Antonio Cue to Receive the CUN Humanitarian Award - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- Timbers Fall 1-0 to Chivas USA on the Road - Portland Timbers
- Chivas USA Extends Unbeaten Streak to Four Straight and 8 out of Last 9 with 1-0 Victory over Portla - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- RSL v. Houston Reserve Match Rescheduled for October 10 - Real Salt Lake
- Henry Volley Propels Red Bulls to 1-0 Win over Fire - New York Red Bulls
- Chicago Fire Undone by New York Red Bulls 1-0 - Chicago Fire
- Sporting KC Weekly Update - Sporting Kansas City
- MLS W.O.R.K.S. Gives Back to the Chester Community - MLS
- Rapids to Wear Black Armbands in Honor of Marisa Colaiano - Colorado Rapids
- Liverpool FC Announce Roster for Toronto FC Friendly Match - Toronto FC
- Sounders FC and Dale Chihuly to Present Blue Lion Spire to Chelsea FC - Seattle Sounders FC
- Chicago Fire vs. Aston Villa Match to be Available Via Livestream - Chicago Fire
- Houston Dynamo Game Notes - July 18 vs. Sporting Kansas City - Houston Dynamo
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.