RedHawks Rally in Omaha, Win 7-6 in ExtrasJuly 17, 2012 - Pacific Coast League (PCL) Oklahoma City RedHawks
Tied 6-6 in the top of the 10th, Martinez lifted a high arcing fly into the second row of the bleachers in left field off Jeremy Jeffress (4-4) to give the RedHawks the lead on his 10th home run of the season.
In the bottom of the inning, David Carpenter retired the first two batters before Derrick Robinson singled to keep the game alive. Mitch Maier then flied out to deep center to end the game, as Carpenter earned his third save.
Carprenter capped a great day by the bullpen, as four relievers combined to toss 5.2 scoreless innings with four hits, six strikeouts, and no walks. Juan Abreu (2-2) earned the win, going 2.1 innings and retiring seven of eight hitters.
Just to get to extras, the RedHawks had to overcome a four-run deficit. Omaha struck in the Storm Chasers first at-bat with an RBI single by Tony Abreu.
The RedHawks tied the game in the second with a Matt Dominguez RBI single. Brandon Barnes gave the RedHawks the lead with a solo homer in the third to make it 2-1.
Former RedHawk Max Ramirez tied it in the fourth with an RBI single, and the Storm Chasers started to take charge with a four-run fifth inning.
Johnny Giavotella broke the tie with an RBI triple, and two batters later, Clint Robinson hit an opposite field homer out to left field to make it 5-2. Anthony Seratelli added an RBI double to cap the rally.
Brett Wallace responded with a three-run homer out to left field in the sixth to pull the RedHawk back within one at 6-5.
With none on and two outs in the seventh, Barnes tripled and Jimmy Paredes followed with a single to knot the game at six.
Neither team threatened to score until Martinez's homer in the 10th. The RedHawks have now won their last three extra-inning games.
The RedHawks and Storm Chasers will resume the series Wednesday night at 7:05 p.m. Live coverage begins at 6:35 p.m. on AM 1340 The Game, 1340thegame.com, or through the free IHeartRadio mobile app.
Pacific Coast League Stories from July 17, 2012
- Aces Pick-Up Two Wins over Tucson - Reno Aces
- Round Rock Express Rally Past Nashville 5-4 - Round Rock Express
- Sounds Suffer Extra-Inning Loss to Express, 5-4 - Nashville Sounds
- Cubs Bats Continue Slumber in Loss - Iowa Cubs
- Gaby Sanchez Launches 3-Run Homer in Z's Win - New Orleans Zephyrs
- Storm Chasers Fall, 7-6, to OKC in 10 Innings - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Berm Seating for Dukes Retro Night on Sale Tomorrow - Albuquerque Isotopes
- RedHawks Rally in Omaha, Win 7-6 in Extras - Oklahoma City RedHawks
- Round Rock Express - Game Notes at Nashville Sounds - Round Rock Express
- RedHawks Game Notes: July 17, 2012 - Oklahoma City RedHawks
- Omaha Loses Big at Home to OKC, 16-6 - Omaha Storm Chasers
- 'Topes Overtake 'Birds with Seventh-Inning Rally - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Rainiers Upended By Sacramento, 5-2 - Tacoma Rainiers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.