Sparks Forward Nnemkadi Ogwumike Named Rookie of the MonthJuly 17, 2012 - Women's National Basketball Association (WNBA) Los Angeles Sparks
Ogwumike led all rookies in rebounding (11.0 rpg) and ranked second in scoring (14.0 ppg). Overall, Ogwumike placed third in rebounds per game in the league. In a 77-74 win against the Indiana Fever on July 12, Ogwumike contributed a double-double with 22 points and a career-high 20 rebounds. She also broke the WNBA record for most offensive rebounds in a game with 12, and set a new career-high in minutes with 38. Her 20-point, 20-rebound game was just the twelfth of its kind in WNBA history, and just the second performance by a Sparks player (Lisa Leslie, July 22, 2002). She posted three double-doubles in five games in July and scored in double-digits in all contests.
The first overall pick in the 2012 WNBA Draft presented by Boost Mobile, Ogwumike is continuing her strong rookie season, averaging more than 14 points and seven rebounds for the Sparks. The Sparks are currently third in the West with a 15-6 record, just a game back of first place after a five-game winning streak.
Highlights of Ogwumike's month included:
- July 7 vs. Seattle: Double-double with 13 points and 11 rebounds in an 83-59 win
- July 10 vs. Phoenix: 11 points, 14 rebounds and 7-for-7 from the free-throw line in a 90-71 win
- July 12 vs. Indiana: Career-high in rebounds (20) and minutes (38), along with 22 points and a league-record 12 offensive rebounds in a 77-74 win
• Discuss this story on the Women's National Basketball Association message board...
• Digg this story
• Add to Del.icio.us
Women's National Basketball Association Stories from July 17, 2012
- Media Release - Tulsa Shock Partners with Sanofi US and American Diabetes Association - Tulsa Shock
- Connecticut's Charles and Los Angeles' Parker Named Players of the Month - WNBA
- Sparks Forward Candace Parker Named Player of the Month - Los Angeles Sparks
- Sparks Forward Nnemkadi Ogwumike Named Rookie of the Month - Los Angeles Sparks
- Los Angeles' Nneka Ogwumike Named Rookie of the Month for July - WNBA
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.