Skid Hits Four with Loss to SquirrelsJuly 16, 2012 - Eastern League (EL) Altoona Curve
Things started well for the Curve as they found their first hit of the game with the first batter with Robbie Grossman singling off Chris Heston (7-4) to start the game. Brock Holt followed suit and singled and after a failed bunt attempt, Adalberto Santos did as well. Santos' single through the right side scored Grossman and after three batters, Altoona led, 1-0.
It would shortly be 2-0 Curve as Curry reached on a fielder's choice that scored Holt from third and four batters in, the Curve had a solid lead.
Starter Brandon Cumpton worked a scoreless first and second before giving up his first run of the night in the third. It would be the first of five straight innings that the Squirrels scored a single run to remain a step ahead of the Curve the rest of the night. Richmond tied the game at two in the fourth when Ehire Adrianza pushed a bunt up the third base side with Russ Mitchell breaking home with two down. The Squirrels took the lead for good and never looked back in the fifth when Cumpton (8-8) walked Juan Ciriaco with the bases loaded.
The one-run deficit turned into two runs as Richmond grabbed a run off reliever Jeff Inman in the sixth but Altoona would close the gap to one in the seventh. Grossman led off the inning with his second single of the game before moving to second when Tom Vessella walked Holt. Santos was able to get the bunt down this time and moved Grossman and Holt 90 feet closer to home to third and second, respectively. Curry followed with his second RBI of the game and it came on his sac fly that made it a one-run game.
From there, Oscar Tejeda worked a walk but Holt was then picked off of second by Squirrels catcher Tommy Joseph during Welch's at bat to end the inning. Tejeda finished the night 2-for-2 with two singles and a pair of walks.
That ended the scoring on the night for the Curve as Richmond pushed across another run off Inman in the seventh to reclaim the two-run lead. Altoona went 1-for-10 with runners in scoring position on Monday night while stranding 10 runners on the bases.
The Curve (44-49), who have now dropped four straight, will look to right the ship on Tuesday night when they take on the Flying Squirrels (49-47) in the second game of the series beginning at 7:05 p.m. RHP Tim Alderson (4-3, 3.58) will take the mound for the Curve while LHP Mike Kickham (7-7, 2.72) tosses for the Squirrels.
Airtime on ESPN Radio 1430, WVAM and the Curve Radio Network is scheduled for 6:35 p.m. For more information on the upcoming Curve homestand beginning Thursday vs. Erie, call 877.99.CURVE, visit AltoonaCurve.com or stop by the box office windows at Peoples Natural Gas Field.
Eastern League Stories from July 16, 2012
- Marisnick Hits First Double-A Home Run - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- Skid Hits Four with Loss to Squirrels - Altoona Curve
- B-Mets Squander Late Lead in Opener, 6-5 - Binghamton Mets
- Squirrels Edge Curve in Series Opener, 5-3 - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- Rock Cats Sweep Doubleheader - New Britain Rock Cats
- Baysox Make SeaWolves Walk the Plank - Bowie Baysox
- Reading Routs Sea Dogs in Series Opener - Portland Sea Dogs
- Aeros Come From Behind to Nip Senators, 5-4 - Akron Aeros
- Thunder Come from Behind Twice in 6-5 Win over Mets - Trenton Thunder
- Arcia's 3-Run Walk-Off Blast Gives Rock Cats Win in Game 1, 8-5 - New Britain Rock Cats
- Erie SeaWolves vs. Bowie Baysox - Game Notes - Erie SeaWolves
- B-Mets Encourage Fans to Come Early for Chris Snee Day on Tuesday, July 17 - Binghamton Mets
- Flying Squirrels Game Notes vs. Altoona - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- Pitcher Mikey O'Brien Activated from DL - Trenton Thunder
- Sea Dogs to Host Naturalization Ceremony on Wednesday - Portland Sea Dogs
- Sea Dogs Game Notes - Portland Sea Dogs
- B-Mets Game Notes: vs. Trenton Thunder - Binghamton Mets
- Benson to Rock Cats Bigley Promoted to Triple-A - New Britain Rock Cats
- Soto Named EL Pitcher of the Week - Akron Aeros
- Mayora Named EL Player of the Week - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- Curve to Hold Yard Sale July 21st Benefitting St. Jude - Altoona Curve
- Eastern League Names Pitcher and Player of the Week - EL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.