Sox Take Game 1 over Tri-City, 6-3July 15, 2012 - Northwest League (NWL) Everett AquaSox
Dylan Unsworth (4-0, 3.74 ERA) started for the Sox and struck out nine batters (seven looking) in six innings of work to earn his fourth win of the season. The Dust Devils got to Unsworth in the first inning for a couple of runs, but that was it as the righty from South Africa breezed through the next five innings shutting down 15 of the final 16 Dust Devils he faced.
Zunino, the Mariners' top selection in the 2012 draft, sparked a rally in the second inning with a double down the right field line in his first at-bat as a professional, getting the green light on a 3-0 count. Tri-City starter Ben Hughes (1-3, 4.35 ERA) walked two Frogs to load the bases, and proceeded to walk Mike Faulkner to force Zunino across home plate and cut the lead in half, 2-1.
Everett came up with four runs in the third inning and jumped out to a 5-2 lead thanks to an RBI-single by Patrick Kivlehan and a three-run homer by David Villasuso.
Kivlehan, the Mariners' fourth-round pick out of Rutgers University, led off the bottom of the fifth with a triple and would score on a sacrifice fly by right fielder Alfredo Morales to take a comfortable 6-2 lead heading into the seventh and final inning.
Marcos Reyna relieved Unsworth for the final inning, allowing one run and striking out the final batter to leave the bases loaded and preserve a 6-3 victory.
The AquaSox (21-7) will send out southpaw Steven Ewing (1-1, 4.24 ERA) in the second game of the doubleheader, and will be opposed by right-hander Peter Tago (1-3, 7.23 ERA) of Tri-City (13-15).
For information about tickets, visit the AquaSox stadium store at 3802 Broadway in Everett, call 425-258-3675 or log onto aquasox.com.
Northwest League Stories from July 15, 2012
- Canadians Take Series Finale In Boise With 5-4 Win - Vancouver Canadians
- Bears Survive Battle Of The Bullpens - Yakima Bears
- Sox Blanked by Dust Devils, 7-0 - Everett AquaSox
- Sox Take Game 1 over Tri-City, 6-3 - Everett AquaSox
- Stellar Sadzeck Flirts with No-Hitter as Indians Fall in Extras to Emeralds 3-1 - Spokane Indians
- Bears win seventh-straight series - Yakima Bears
- Frogs Win Game 2 against Dust Devils, 5-1 - Everett AquaSox
- Boise Hawks end two-game losing streak - Boise Hawks
- Vancouver topped 9-3 out at Memorial Stadium; losing grip on 1st half pennant chase - Vancouver Canadians
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.